𝐎𝐍𝐄

The whirring of the simulators sounded like a poisonous scream in her head

The whirring of the simulators sounded like a poisonous scream in her head. Sweat was dripping down her face. Blood oozed out of her bruised knuckles as she tightened her fists. She tried to control her breath as the robots around her slowed down to a halt.

With every breath she exhaled, her eyes glanced at the machines, her attention focusing on every one of them. She circled her body, her feet planted steadily on the dojo mat. She waited another second, before letting out a growl.

She turned, punching her way into the contents of the first robot. She grabbed its arm and kicked its body with both her legs, tearing the arm off.

With the detached metal arm, she threw it across the room, attacking the next robot. She kicked its legs, tripping it and then bashed its metal head in.

She ran towards the last robot, jumped and wrapped both her legs around its neck. She swung her entire weight, dropping the machine to the ground before ripping its head from its body.

When all the robots were eliminated, the simulation ended, sending her back into an empty dojo room.

"Nice move."

Maya turned her head towards the door. There, standing with pride was her mentor, Natasha Romanoff. Of course she would compliment her. It was Natasha who taught her that very move.

"When did you get here?" she questioned, her words barely comprehensible as she was panting.

"Just a while ago."

"Are they, you know, here?" She shrugged, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand.

Natasha nodded her head, she knew Maya was referring to the Avengers. She approached the young girl, offering her water. Maya thanked her and gulped it down, rather ungracefully.

Natasha couldn't help but notice the bruises on Maya's knuckles and the cut on her right eye. She held her jaw, assessing the injury when Maya pulled her face away from her. She grabbed a wet towel and pressed it against her hands, trying to soothe the pain.

"So this Loki guy," Natasha started, "What do I need to know about him?"

Maya looked at her in confusion. "Did no one brief you?"

"Phil sent me a report but I didn't read it. Besides I wanted an honest opinion, don't want any sugarcoat."

Maya started to unwrap her ringside gauze wrap. "He's handsome."

Natasha faced her, tilting her head in confusion and humor.

"You said to be honest," she replied nonchalantly, "He's tall. Skinny, long dark hair. Pale like a damn ghost."

She threw her gauze tape on the gym bench and continued working on unwrapping the other one.

"He's got this scepter. He used it on Barton and Selvig. To control their minds. It shoots energy blasts too. My guess is, if you wanna knock him out, you take away the stick."

Natasha nodded. She heard enough as soon as Maya mentioned Clint. She took another look towards Maya and her bruised hands.

"Did someone piss you off? You were murdering those sims." 

"I was just training," she mumbled.

Natasha hummed, walking past Maya towards the weapons range. Her hands skimmed across the various weapons.

"Was it an ex-boyfriend, calling in to ask you to return his sweater?" she continued to provoke the younging. Her hands continued to dance across the weapons until they stopped at the bo staffs. Maya's weapon of choice.

"You're not funny, Nat."

Maya had her back towards her mentor. Unbeknownst to her, Natasha gripped two bo staffs, throwing one sneakily at Maya.

With utmost grace, Maya side stepped, grabbing the flying bo staff. She twirled it and turned to her opponent, taking her karate stance. Her staff gripped tightly by her side, her muscles flexing.

Within seconds, the two were attacking each other. They laid hits on one another, not strong enough to bruise but hard enough to knock the breathes out of their lungs.

Maya crouched, trying to sweep Natasha off balance by kicking her legs. Nat was quick to react and jumped at the last second. She somersaulted in the air, across Maya and spanked her with the staff.

Natasha turned around with a sly grin to face a vexing Maya. With a frustrated scream, Maya hurled herself towards Natasha and engaged her staff with Natasha's torso.

Catching Natasha off guard, she swiftly shifted her position so that she was now behind the redhead. Using her leg she kicked away Natasha's staff while bringing her own up to her opponent's neck.

"Seriously, who pushed your buttons? Do I need to kill someone?"

Maya let go of her, tossing her staff to the side.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Maya, we promised. No secrets."

Maya sighed in defeat. She learned everything she could from Natasha, including how to hide one's vulnerability. However, her slouched shoulders did nothing but tell her she failed at putting up a strong front.

Natasha decided to probe further. Maya was clearly upset and it didn't sit well with the older woman. Before she could ask any more questions, an agent appeared at the door.

"Agent Romanoff, Directory Fury is asking for your presence in the Command Centre."

Natasha nodded at him. She turned back to Maya and pointed her finger.

"I'm gonna come back and you're gonna tell me what's going on."

Maya waved her off, rolling her eyes.

"You're such a mum, do you know that?" she asked, chuckling lightly.

Natasha all but winked at her. "Maya please, I'm the hot sister."

•••

Author's Note

Yikes, what's got Maya upset?

✨ Vote | Comment ✨