𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Maya bites on her fingernails and tries to control the tears in her eyes from flowing out

Maya bites on her fingernails and tries to control the tears in her eyes from flowing out. She was trying to rid herself of the pain in her left torso when she was rudely awakened by Natasha. She told her Fury was in the hospital, he was attacked and the chances of him surviving were slim.

The duo enter the hospital room, where Maria and Steve were already there. Steve noticed Maya's disarray and her bloodied shirt. He figured to ask later. Right now, her father was in the operating theatre and she was watching, petrified.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asked. Steve was unsure.

"Tell me about the shooter," she continues interrogating.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Maya grabs his hand and clamps down on it, her nails almost burying itself in his skin.

"What did you say?"

"He had a metal arm. Maya, what happened to you?" Maya lets her grip loose and goes back to watching the doctors try and save her father. Natasha turns to Maria.

"Ballistics?"

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable."

"Soviet-made." Natasha's quick reply didn't go unnoticed by Maya. She was unsure before but know she knew Natasha was hiding the identity of her and now her father's attacker. Maya leans forward, she presses her hands onto the glass window. Steve had both his arms around her, ready to hold her if she were to fall.

"Dad," she squeaks out, very very softly. She watches as her father flatlines.

"Defibrillator!" The doctor and the nurses rush around the table and shocks Nick.

One shock. No pulse.

Two shocks. No pulse.

"Give me epinephrine!"

Three shocks. No pulse.

The doctor heaves a heavy sigh. He turns to the nurses and shakes his head. "What's the time?"

"1:03, Doctor."

"Time of death, 1.03 a.m."

Maya's knees finally gave out as she lets out a wobbly gasp. It can't be. Her father isn't dead. She refused to believe it. Steve holds her up but her body was as heavy as her heart. She looks up at him teary-eyed.

"Tell them," she sobs, "Tell them they've got to wake him up, Steve." Her plea broke his heart to pieces. "He's not dead, he's.." she cries.

"He's sleeping. He's sleeping. He's not dead. Someone tell him to wake up!" She hits her fists against the window. "No! Daddy!"

Steve grabs onto her hands and turns her around to face him. He wraps his arms around her, engulfing her in a hug. She screams in pain and her heart wrenching yell even made him cry. He tries to calm her down but she kept on crying. Steve held her there for as long as he could. Her cries died down after a while and Steve looks down. Maya's face was pale. She had fainted.