𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

The battle wasn't over yet

The battle wasn't over yet. Maya and Steve continued hammering down on the Chitauris. They held out for as long as they could. They battled side by side, until Thor joined. As soon as they killed the aliens, a new batch of Chitauris appeared.

"You ready for another bout?" Thor questions, his breathing already irregular.

"What?" Steve replies, also catching his breath, "You gettin' sleepy?"

"Yes," Maya said. She was already leaning against her scythe for support. "I'm not even kidding, I'll sleep right here, on the rocks. Man these guys don't quit."

While working on the remaining aliens, Natasha called out, "I can close it! Can anybody hear me? I can shut the portal down!"

"Do it!" Steve orders.

"No, wait!"

"Stark, these things are still coming!"

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

They all peered above them. Iron Man catches up to the missile, gripping it tightly. He wrenches the rocket off its course and steered it upwards. He was flying straight up into the sky, towards the portal.

"Tony, that's a one-way trip."

He doesn't respond. Instead he flies higher and higher over the city, gaining speed. He flings himself through the portal. While everyone else cheered, the Avengers held their breath, waiting for their friend's return.

Suddenly, all of the Chitauri soldiers and ships keel over and they began to shake, then stopping. They all fall over. Maya glances at them then looks up again. Tony still hasn't come back down.

"Come on, man," she prays. Instead of Tony, she sees a supernova barrelling towards them. Maya turns to Steve and so does Thor. "Close it," he orders.

From below, they saw the Tesseract turning its energy beam off. The portal quickly closes, but not before something plummeted out of it, towards the earth. Tony.

"Son of a gun," Steve says in relief. Maya however eyed the falling Iron Man.

"He's not slowing down!" she yelled. Thor reacts quickly, swinging his hammer, preparing to fly up there but stops mid way when they notice the Hulk snagging him out of the air. Both crashed and slid down a building onto the street below. He throws Tony off him and everyone runs over.

Thor rips Tony's helmet off. He appears to be dead. Maya covered her mouth, gasping. They all stand around unsure. The Hulk then yells in fury and the noise startled Tony awake.

"What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me."

A sigh of relief escaped Maya's mouth as she smiled at Tony.

"We won."

"Alright. Hey, alright. Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it."