𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

When Maya walked into the lab, a fight was already taking place

When Maya walked into the lab, a fight was already taking place. She wanted to leave but figured it was better to stay.

"It's his M.O., isn't it? I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're.. we're a time-bomb."

Maya became increasingly anxious about Bruce's behaviour. She made sure to focus most of her attention on him.

"You need to step away," Nick warned.

Tony, who was filled with numerous sarcastic remarks, lazily placed his arm around Steve. "Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?"

"You know damn well why, back off!"

Tony then came face to face with Steve and Maya started to think they were actually flirting more than they were fighting. "Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me."

"Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?"

Maya giggled as she thought of the word 'naked'.

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Maya shrugged her shoulders. That works too.

"The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

"I think I would just cut the wire."

Maya rolled her eyes, already tired with all the banter. She didn't want to get involved though. She was afraid it might turn sideways and her father would be reprimanding her in the end. She swallowed and let them continue, as she waited for the stats on the computer to indicate the location of the Tesseract.

"Yeah, this is a team-" Bruce said sarcastically.

"Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr. Banner back to his-"

"Where? You rented my room." This was bad. Maya hoped that by sending her dad, Natasha and Thor would keep Bruce calm, but all she could see right now was rising anger.

"The cell was just in case-"

"In case, you needed to kill me, but you can't! I know! I tried!" Everyone stopped arguing with each other in that moment.

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out." Maya listened intently, grabbing her knives from behind her for safety. "So I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good, until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk."

Bruce slowly walked forward as he looks right at Natasha. Maya had her knives on full display and took her stance. "You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?" he seethed.

"Dr. Banner," Steve warned, "Put down the scepter." Bruce looks down in horror to see his hand gripping on Loki's scepter. The computer beeps and they all turned to it. Bruce was by her side in a second which startled her. She held her knives slightly higher than before.