𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

Maya's boots stomped through the hallways of S

Maya's boots stomped through the hallways of S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. She nods her head at passing agents and personnel. She continues marching down towards Nick's office.

Maya has gained more recognition than ever within S.H.I.E.L.D, after the Battle of New York. It had been two years since Loki. It had also been two years since she was authorised to participate in missions, sometimes even leading them.

And in the two years, she's become incredibly close to Steve. The two would always be given the same missions, and when they were not fighting bad guys, they'd spend time catching up. Going out to have coffee or staying in to watch movies, it was either of the many ways.

They were each other's sparring partners. Sparring was always fun between them. Though most people were against it, Maya loved fighting him. It gave her the capacity to become stronger, quicker on her feet and if she could take down Captain America, she could take down anyone. But she hasn't been able to do that, just yet, though Steve often tells her she's almost there.

Turning around the corner, she enters her father's office, his back facing her, while he looks out of the windows. His hands were behind his back and he looked as if he was in a daze.

"Let me guess, you met a woman last night and you want to make her my new stepmom? Tell me if I'm warm?"

"You need to stop hanging out with Stark," he replies coolly, turning around to her attention. Maya shrugs her shoulders nonchalantly.

She had also been returning to the newly refurbished Stark Tower. Or as its new name suggests; The Avengers Tower. Maya and Tony have been working together to improve his tech equipment, as well as S.H.I.E.L.Ds'. Ever since Tony found out that it was Maya who jacked his hacker, which he thought was unbreachable, he knew he needed to up his security. And what better way to do that than hire the girl who hacked him in the first place?

"Mission report, Agent Fury?" Nick asks as he settles into his desk chair.

"Batroc has hijacked the Lemurian Star, sir," she says, now in a more serious tone, "S.H.I.E.L.D was sending up their last payload when the pirates took them, 5 minutes ago. There are 25 of them, top mercs. They'll kill anything in sight. There are hostages in the galley, sir. Most of them are our techs, but," she pauses.

Nick nodded, his hands clasping together, as if he was praying. "But what?"

"Agent Sitwell is in there too," she hesitates. "It's a launch ship. Why the hell is he there?"

Nick frowns as Maya does. The both of them unsure as to why one of their non-field agents got himself involved in the Lemurian.

"No time to figure out now. Get Rogers and Romanoff, this is your mission. Handle it as you should."

Maya stands at attention and nods at her father, "Sir." She leaves the room and texts Steve and Natasha.

"Mission Alert: Lemurian Hijack. Triskelion Headquarters. Quinjet leaves at 1800 hours."

A few seconds later, her phone chimes. A message from Steve, asking her if she could pick him up, offering her free coffee the next time they go out. She sighs, and smiles.

•••

As she parks her Dodge Charger RT '70 beside the curb, she rolls the window down to greet Steve, who was talking to a man.

"Hey, anyone seen an old boomer? He looks 27 ish but don't be fooled, he's fucking old," she says as he opens the door. Steve gives her a disapproving look at his given nickname.

"Don't call me that," he pouts like a little baby. Maya laughs at his childish behaviour.

"Yeah, I'll do what I want, thank you." She looks outside to see the man her friend was talking to, eyeing her and her car. "How's it going?" he politely asks.

"I don't know, you spend a minute with this guy." she rolls her eyes playfully.

Steve turns towards his new acquaintance, and while he does that Maya mouths "He's boring!"

The man laughs and bids them goodbye. Maya then quickly pulls away and drives off.

"Boring?" Steve asks. Maya giggles, "You heard that?"

"You weren't even trying to be sneaky, Maya. You wanted me to hear that."

"You know I love you Steve, stop pouting."

"You're not getting that free coffee."

"Yikes!" She widens her eyes with humor. "I pulled a string just by calling you a boring boomer?" She laughs harder. Steve folds his hands and frowns, his pout more evident than before.

Maya reaches one hand towards the back of the passenger seat, grabbing a folder. She hands it to Steve and briefs him about their mission.

"Alright, jokes aside Captain," Steve turns to look at her. Her demeanor had changed. Where she was laughing merely seconds ago, her eyes were now focused and her lips were tight in a straight line.

"Our ship's been hijacked by pirates, their leader, Georges Batroc. There's 25 of 'em, and they've got our tech guys hostage. Sitwell's in there too. Why he's even on the ship in the first place beats me, but I'm gonna find out once this is over."

"25 pirates?" he asks, flipping the pages in the folder.

"Yeah. And Batroc? He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties." Steve nods at her words, eyeing Batroc's photo in his lap.

"Nat and a S.T.R.I.K.E team are coming along with us on this mission. I'll brief everyone once we're there." Maya enters the carpack of the Triskelion, and they get out. They enter their lockers to gear up. Once they were done, Maya and Steve leave, both donned in their Grim Reaper and Captain America uniforms respectively.

"Let's go get us our agents back."

•••

Author's Note

Maya and Steve's friendship - 💯.

✨ Vote | Comment ✨