𝐒𝐈𝐗

Phil was like a father to her

Phil was like a father to her. He took care of her when Nick was away during meetings and missions. Phil was also the one who convinced Nick to let her join S.H.I.E.L.D and kickstarted her training at the early age of ten.

While everyone else laughed at her, Phil was one of the few who didn't. He didn't see a fool but instead he saw fiery determination. To say Maya was skilled was an understatement. Phil knew she was one of S.H.I.E.L.D's finest. He would vouch for that, always.

She earned her title not because of who her father was. Her loyalty and her adaptability to situations was what helped her rank above even the toughest agents. And that made Phil very proud to have known her.

She snapped out of her thoughts when a deck of bloodied cards were thrown on the table. "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Maya tries to control herself but a tear had already escaped. Her lips quivered ever so slightly as she silently sobbed. Steve reached his hand out to hold hers, letting her know that he was there, if she needed him. 

"We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming.

Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative.

The idea was to bring a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes."

As Nick finished up his sentence, Tony, distraught, got up and left. Soon after, Steve left as well. Maya sat there quietly, unable to speak or think. She looked up from her hands to the table where her father had placed a packet.

"Phil had this placed in, two years ago. Piled together with the Avengers' files." Maya frowned and carefully opened the packet. Inside, was a photo of her, with all her personal details written on it. This was her folder.

"Why would he put this together with the others?"

"Guns expert, knives expert, hand-to-hand combat, cyber security expert, extremely skilled in martial arts techniques, undercover security expert. There really is nothing you can't do, huh?" Nick looks at her with an expression Maya couldn't read.

"Seven years of training. I had a lot of time, since you never let me out on missions," she mumbled.

Nick pulled various recordings of P.O.V cameras that each agent has during missions. All of the recordings were from different missions, but they were showing similar footage. Masked in black, a vigilante was seen fighting the enemy. All of the missions were interrupted by the same masked assassin. Some missions were even completed before the agents involved arrived, their target already captured, left for them to find.