𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Leaving the command center without asking for directions first was a huge mistake

Leaving the command center without asking for directions first was a huge mistake. Steve had been wandering the halls for the past ten minutes, trying to look for his friend. He turned at every random corner, hoping he would magically bump into her.

At the last corner, he heard a gunshot. On instinct, he crouched to the ground. To his surprise, there was no one else in the hallway except him. He heard another gunshot and decided to fish out where it was coming from. He travelled further down and on his left, he found Maya, in a simulation room.

She moved around swiftly, like a ballerina. Her eyes were sharp and filled with concentration. She gripped the gun so tightly, Steve could see her knuckles turning white. As she shot down each attacking sim one by one, he watched in awe.

He knocked on the glass window. She turned to see him smiling like a kid and waving. Maya switched the simulation off, automatically unlocking the sealed doors.

As he entered, he whistled impressively, "Natasha said you could beat me in a fight. I'm starting to think she might be right."

"Against you? I don't think I can, Captain."

"No?"

Maya shook her head, "You're enhanced. Which means you're a lot stronger and faster. I'd knock out at the first blow." She continued, "Unless."

"Unless?"

"Unless I figure out your blind spots. And your weaknesses. Tear down your walls and then trap you."

She sneakily tripped him when he wasn't paying attention. He fell to the ground, where Maya pressed against his chest with her knee. She grabbed his right arm, flipped him over so that he was now laying on his stomach. She reached for his left arm and then twisted both behind his back as if to cuff him.

"And you're dead."

Steve headbutted her, causing her to go off balance and releasing his arms. Escaped, he quickly turned to pin her on the floor.

"You're quick, soldier, I'll give you that. But you still have a lot to learn."

Maya nodded in defeat, "Guess I do, Captain."

He let her go and helped her up. "Steve," he reminded her not to be formal.

"So you're Fury's daughter."

"He told you?"

"Not directly, but yeah." There was a brief pause.

"Maya I don't think he doesn't trust that you're ready. I think as a father, he's just -"

"Protective," Maya sighed, "His words. They don't correlate with the emotions I see in his eyes. He's scared. Of losing me. He lost his eye on a mission. He doesn't want me to lose anything, especially my life, so he keeps me inside instead."