𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Maya sits silently in cuffs beside Steve who was still in disbelief

Maya sits silently in cuffs beside Steve who was still in disbelief. She tries to control the pain her body was radiating, due to the cuts she acquired, courtesy of Bucky. At the thought of his name, Maya furrows her eyebrows, wondering how the soldier from the 40s is still alive.

"You saw him, right?" Steve asks. "It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me."

"I don't think he even knew himself," Maya whispers.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago," Sam replied.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did, helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and-"

"None of that's your fault, Steve." Natasha reminds, groaning in pain due to her wound.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky."

Maya's attention changed focus, from her friend to the voice speaking inside her ear. It was Rumlow.

"We have the targets in the convoy. Return the asset back to base."

Maya frowns at his vague statement. What did he mean by asset? She breaks out of her thoughts when Sam speaks up. "We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound, she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

One of the guards that were with them pulled out an electric rod, tasing it as if to silence Sam. The guard redirects the rod to the other guard and neutralises him, knocking him out. The guard takes his helmet off, only for them to realise it had been Maria the whole time.

"Ah, that thing was squeezing my brain." Everyone looked relieved to see her, except Sam who was confused as hell. Maria stares at him back, then turns to Steve.

"Who's this guy?"

"That's Sam," Maya replies, "He's one of us." Content with her answer, Maria starts to uncuff everyone and pulls out an electrical laser.

"You guys might wanna move back for this," she warns, turning the weapon on, the buzzing of electricity filled the air. She burns a squarish hole on the floor of the convoy and kicks the metal out, revealing the pavement below.

As the convoy halts at a traffic stop, the five of them quickly move through the hole and out. Maria calls for a vehicle and leads them towards it, all of them getting in without being noticed. As they drive off, Maya listens in on Rumlow, through her device.

"Four holes. Start digging."

A beat passes and she hears his voice again.

"Fuck! Sir, we've lost them."

She smirks slightly. They ride in the vehicle for at least thirty minutes before stopping at a secret facility. It was well hidden in the forest and it looked like a dam more than a facility. Steve was the first one out, followed by Natasha, Sam and Maya.