𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

Author's Note
Lesbereal, we all knew he was not gonna kill Maya. Enjoy!

•••

Steve approaches but halts abruptly when he sees Bucky holding Maya at gunpoint

Steve approaches but halts abruptly when he sees Bucky holding Maya at gunpoint. He notices her bleeding thigh and stares adamantly. Maya warns Steve with her eyes, not to do anything drastic. Her life was on the line.

"People are gonna die, Buck. I can't let that happen," Steve calmly states. Maya slowly grabs one of the knives on her thigh holster discreetly while Steve tries to talk his way out of the situation.

"Please don't make me do this."

She holds it tight in her fist before letting it slip out of her hand. It fell onto the glass surface below the bridge. Bucky gets distracted by the sound, just as Maya expected. He weakens his grip around her hair, and she takes the opportunity to escape, pushing the gun in his hand away from her head.

As swift as a deer, she goes around him, the chip implant still in her hand. Bucky was quicker to grab onto her ankle, gripping and bruising it. Steve throws his shield to him and he blocks it with his metal arm, ricocheting it back to Steve. Maya takes another knife out and slices the skin of his arm that was holding her. Wincing, he lets go and she makes a run for the chamber.

She pulls the HDYRA chip out, ready to replace it with hers, when she gets shoved off the bridge and falls to the surface below. Maya hits her head against the glass, cutting a small scar up her forehead. With a frustrated groan, she manages to get up not without realising she had dropped her chip.

Scanning the floor for it, she spots it tucked underneath some metal febris. She reaches out for it but a bullet flies past her hand, hitting the metal near her, making a loud clang. More bullets come her way and she could only guess that it came from Bucky's gun.

Like a saviour, Steve throws him back against the wall, Bucky dropping his gun in the process. He unsheathed a knife and begins to focus his attention to the Captain. He makes jabs at him in an attempt to kill him. Maya wobbles to get the chip and when she does, she hurries to the chamber to place it in.

She limps briskly but keeps falling over due to her injured thigh. She reaches the stairs to the bridge above but hears a commotion. Fighting on the ledge near her were the two former best friends. Maya ignores them, her priority was getting the chip in. She continues her way up, when she gets knocked off the stairs and back onto the glass below.

"I swear to God, Steve!" she exclaims. "If I get hit by your stupid shield again, I'm breaking it!" She holds the shield and tosses it back to him. He grabs it and throws it to Bucky, only to have him deflect it away. He notices the chip in Maya's hands and makes a run for her.