Chapter Seven: I See You

Overall the read through was...

Bad. It was really bad, but they almost always are. It doesn't reflect the show at all.

I headed home to do my homework and work more on Ashlyn and I's song, when, to my surprise, I found my parents' car in the driveway. I furrowed my eyebrows as I walked in the front door.

"Mom?" I called. "Dad?"

"In here!" I dropped my bag, walking to the kitchen to find my mother sitting at the kitchen table, her laptop in front of her, and files scattered all around.

"What are you doing home?" I asked.

"We were tired off the office,' She said, not looking up at me, "Honestly, I thought you were home this whole time."

"Shocking." I muttered.

"Huh? Did you say something?" She questioned. I shook my head.

"No. I didn't."

"So, where were you if not here?" She asked. 

"Well I was-" I was cut off by her phone ringing.

"Oh, hang on." She grabbed it, answering it, "Kim Kline, this better be good. No! No, Michael, I told you, I ahve to have those reports in by Monday! I don't care what happened to your cat, deal with that on your own time. This is your job."

"Good to see you too." I said dryly, turning and leaving the kitchen. I picked up my backpack and walked upstairs to go to my room. I peered into my Dad's office to see him in a similar state as my mother.

"Hey, Dad." I greeted, leaning against the doorframe.

"Hey! You have to time to talk?" He asked. I furrowed my eyebrows. My parents never want to talk to me.

"Yeah...what's up?" He looked up at me, furrowing his eyebrows and turning his head, pointing at the Bluetooth that was in his ear.

"Good, I'm glad. So about that statistical analysis..."

I was out of the doorway by that point, booking it to my room and closing the door behind me. I threw my book bag down, shaking my head. I wanted to cry, but this wasn't anything new, so I'd learned not to let it get to me. I shook my head. I don't want to be here right now. I grabbed my phone, finding Ashlyn's newly-added name in my contacts. I called her.

"Hey, hey, hey!" She greeted.

"Hey," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. I failed.

"Is everything ok?" She asked, immediately picking up on it.

"Yeah! Yeah, fine. Everything's fine. Um...hey, is it cool if I come over so we can work on the song? I know its rude to just invite yourself over to people's houses, and you might want a break from theater stuff-"

"Of course you can come over!" She exclaimed. "I'll text you the address."

"Awesome. See you then." I hung up as the tears that were welling up in my eyes escaped. I wiped them away and grabbed my backpack, heading downstairs. "Going to a friend's house, later bye!" I yelled quickly on my way out the door. I climbed into my car, and then once I was safely inside, I had a full on break down.

Normally it doesn't bother me this much. I chalk it up to things being how they always are and go about my business, but there are other days when its just...its too much for me.

Days when they make me realize that if something happened to me, it'd probably be a week before either of them noticed I was gone. Days where for the first time in my life, I could have friends, I have a hobby that I'm really passionate about, a hobby that I'm stepping outside my comfort zone to pursue, and they care more about business meetings than to even ask what is happening in my life. Its just...its a lot.