Chapter Eleven: Disappointing You

I guess Miss Jenn called us downstairs because she had received a package that she wanted us all to see. Ashlyn and I went down there, but for whatever reason, Nini was nowhere to be found.

It wasn't until the box was open and Miss Jenn was holding a wad of bubble wrap in her hands that Nini reappeared, standing beside EJ.

"Hey, I missed you. Where have you been?" He asked, putting a hand on her back. I looked over at Ricky, who was watching the couple from a distance. He then looked at me and I raised my eyebrows at him.

"What?" Nini asked.

"Before you came here."

"Oh, I was hanging with Megan and your Cousin." She said.

"Really? Why?" He asked.

"Don't be weird, just...trying to get in good with the family. And you know...Megan."

Miss Jenn unwrapped the bubble wrap, taking out the most 'early 2000s' phone I'd ever seen. But I also recognized it.

"Is that..." I trailed off and everyone, including Miss Jenn, turned to look at me.

" A garage door opener?" Seb asked.

"No Seb. This is Gabriella's phone. From the film." Everyone gasped and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why did I know that?" I asked myself.

"I plan on creating a time capsule display in our lobby," She explained, "If they can have forty sports ball trophies, we deserve a little movie museum. Ok people, enough Dazzle, fetch your scripts please." Everyone dispersed and Nini walked over to us.

"Is that really her phone?" She asked.

"Hold it to your ear, like a seashell. You'll hear echos of VHutch crushing the B flat on 'When There Was Me and You'." Nini took it, doing so. "Or you can let me disinfect it first." Nini nodded, handing it back to her.

I chuckled, looking up to where EJ was standing by his bag. I furrowed my eyebrows as I found him looking at me.

'Thank you.' He mouthed. I furrowed my eyebrows even more. But my eyes widened as I figured out what he could be thanking me for.

"Places for the top of the ski lodge!"

~~~

I didn't manage to catch EJ after rehearsal and I knew why.

Someone had given him Nini's phone, though I knew it wasn't me Ashlyn, and the temptation to snoop through it had been too much for him, so he was avoiding me, because he didn't want me to tell him what he already knew; That it was wrong and a completely invasion of his girlfriend's privacy.

My opportunity finally came when Ashlyn invited me over to rehearse.

"Oh, but my parents are gone so EJ's driving us. Hope that's cool." She said, as we walked out of the school after play practice.

"Fine by me." I told her. I didn't tell her why it was. I had a feeling she would find out soon enough. We went out to EJ's car, and I climbed in the back seat while Ashlyn took the front.

"Thanks for waiting." She told him. I shook my head as I saw that he had her phone in his hand. He didn't respond. "You ok?"

"No." I answered for him. They both turned to look at me. "Not only is it morally wrong to go through someone's phone and invade their privacy...you never know what they're hiding from you and if its for a reason."

"What is she talking about?" Ashlyn asked. He sighed, showing her the phone.

"She told him she loved him," He said, "I found an archived post on her Instagram."