Chapter Thirty-Three: Opening Night

Once all the girls left my house the next morning, and the distraction was gone, I found the overwhelming realization crash down on me: Tonight is Opening Night.

This is the day we've worked so hard for, the day we've fought for and its finally here.

This musical has changed my life. When it all started I was a silent, invisible nobody hiding her talent from the world and counting the days until graduation and now? I'm a strong, confident young woman with friends, an incredible boyfriend, and a repaired relationship with my parents. I will never be the same after this experience and...

 It all ends here.

I showed up to the gym early at the request of Miss Jenn. I didn't know why she wanted me there, but I wasn't about to argue seeing as the alternative was me pacing around my house and trying not to puke, so this was favorable.

I walked in, looking around at the shambles of set that were in the process of being put together by the crew.  I smiled at the symbolism of our show coming together.

The double doors behind me opened and I turned around to see Miss Jenn who smiled at me.

"Megan! Reliably punctual as always." I smiled at this.

"Miss Jenn, why did you want me to meet you here?"

"Right, yes." She put her hands on my shoulders, looking out at everything. "I wanted to share this with you. I just like to take a moment alone on opening night, before all the chaos begins. Savor the solitude."

"But...is it really solitude if we're together?" I asked. She smiled, walking around in front of me and taking my hands.

"I think it is, yes." She said. "Can I be honest with you?" I nodded. "I have seen a younger verison of myself in you...from the moment you walked on that audition stage." I raised my eyebrows. "I saw a girl with more talent than she realized with none of the confidence to realize it, and then you brought it in that audition and I realized that you are braver than I ever was. And then you were always stepping in to help, you helped Big Red learn about the theater, you helped Ricky with the choreography, and the only reason we're in this gym is because it was your idea." I smiled at this. "I think you're incredibly talented, and I think you could do anything that you want. But you have a love for the arts, and for helping people love them just as much as you do that I think you would make an impeccable drama teacher. Or possibly a director."

"You know, that's not the first time I've heard that," I said, "But I have to admit...It means the world to me hearing it from you." She smiled.

"Well, I plan on teaching you everything I know, if you're up for it." I smiled, nodding in agreement, before she pulled me into a hug. The double doors opened again and we pulled away from each other, turning around to see Ricky.

"Sorry! Didn't mean to startle you."

"Ricky! You're really early!" 

"I know. I just didn't know what to do with myself all afternoon."

"Let me guess, opening night jitters?" Miss Jenn asked.

"Yeah, its just a lot. My mom's coming tonight, and technically I've never been in a musical before, so..."

"Dude, same. I'm freaking out on the inside." I stated.

"I understand the stress you're under, both of you." She put a hand on my shoulder. "All I can tell you is what my director told me the night somebody sneezed a blueberry muffin onto the stage during a regional production of South Pacific. Use it." I understood what she meant, but I couldn't help but scrunch my nose in disgust.