Chapter Twenty: Born to Be Brave

"You girls better get a move on! The dance starts in ten minutes!" Dad called from downstairs.

"Almost done, just one more thing..." Mom finished applying mascara to my eyelashes. "...and done. You're ready."

I smiled, rushing over to where my shoes were sitting on the floor. They were a pair of black heels.

"Oh, hey," Ashlyn said, "I'm wearing this black choker, but it came in a pack of two. Do you want one?"

"Yeah sure." She tossed it to me and I caught it, putting it on once my shoes were on my feet. Then I stood up and removed the button-up shirt. Mom and Ashlyn both just stared at me. "What?"

"Who are you, and what have you done with my best friend?" Ashlyn asked

"Who are you, and what have you done with my best friend?" Ashlyn asked. I laughed.

"You look beautiful. You both do." Mom told me. "Come on, lets get downstairs, take some pictures, and then you girls can go."

~~~

We snapped our pictures and then we were headed to the dance.

"Next." I stepped up to the ticket table, frowning as I realized the person on the other side of it was Mr. Mazara. He scowled up at me.

"Kline." I told him.

"I know who you are." He answered, handing me my ticket. "Table ten with the other...theater kids. Snap a photo on your way in."

"Thanks." I said dryly. I paused, waiting for Ashlyn and then we both went through the photobooth together before finding our table, which currently housed Carlos, Ricky, and Big Red.

"Hey guys." Ashlyn greeted.

"Ladies! Look at you slaying the game!" Carlos exclaimed.

"Us? What about you in that suit?!" Ashlyn exclaimed.

"Oh stop it!" Ashlyn sat down beside Carlos, and I sat beside her.

"Ricky, Big Red, you guys look nice." I told them.

"Thanks, Megan. You guys look really pretty." Big Red told us.

"Thank you." Ashlyn and I said together.

"Ooh, let's take a picture." Ashlyn said, fishing her phone out of her pocket. "Carlos, get in here." 

She pulled Carlos and I in close and we all took a selfie together.

"I don't believe this," Ricky said, showing Big Red his phone, "This dude steals my girlfriend, and 12 seconds after they break up, he's already playing the field."

"What?" I asked. They both looked at me. "What are you talking about?"

Ricky turned his phone, showing it to me across the table.

It was Instagram, a picture from the photo booth and there was EJ, in his suit, posing happily with his arms wrapped around...Gina.

"Excuse us," I looked up and there they were, Gina and EJ, arm and arm, "These seats taken?" Gina lightly put her head on EJs shoulder. He smiled, and then his eyes came to land on me. I shook my head.