Chapter Thirty: Welcome To Tech Rehearsal

"Right this way, follow me." Miss Jenn said, leading us through the dark and...frankly disgusting hallways of the El Rey theater. Each of us carried a flashlight because we hadn't yet figured out where the lights were. "Smell that smell, the theater. Mold. Its a sign of life. Everyone, watch your step and let me know if you haven't had a tetanus shot recently, ok?"

"We walked onto the stage, looking round at the weird array of props, consisting of things from what looked like several different eras.

"This isn't creepy in the slightest." I said, standing beside Ashlyn.

"No kidding." She said. "Also, don't think I haven't noticed."

"Noticed what?" I asked, looking at her.

"The jacket?" She asked. "I've seen enough eighties movies to know what that means. Its official, right?"

"Nothing gets past you, Ms. Darbus." I stated.

"I know we've been super busy, but we are in desperate need of a girl's night." I nodded.

"Actually,  I was thinking, it might be kind of fun if, assuming we get the show sorted out, all the girls sleep over at my house and then we go thrifting and see if we can't replace the costumes we lost."

"That's an amazing idea!" She exclaimed. 'But how are we going to pay for that?"

"My parents have agreed to make a pretty sizeable donation to the drama department." I stated. 

"How sizeable are we talking here?" She asked.

"Well, we'll just have to see what we need, now won't we?" She smiled.

"I'll spread the word?" I nodded in agreement. I felt awful that Gina couldn't be there for it, but I could tell that the cast seemed to be in need of a morale boost, and, at least on the girl front, what better way to do that then a girl's night?

~~~

We finally got the lights on, so now everyone was running around, moving the random set pieces back stage and trying to figure out the tech we would nee, seeing as this was a tech rehearsal.

"Ok! Let's have some real talk." Miss Jenn announced. "Welcome to tech rehearsal. I don't know if you've noticed, but most of the tech in this particular theater appears to be hand-cranked. Natalie Bagley, my dear, my stage manager, this is your chance to be the hero." Everyone began looking around for Natalie. "What, what is it, what's happening?"

"Natalie Bagley's getting her wisdom teeth out." Seb reported. Miss Jenn sighed, looking at me.

"Ok...Megan, honey, I know this s a lot to ask-"

"Say no more." I told her, stepping forward. "Interim stage manager, reporting for duty."

"You're a god-send." She said, squeezing my arm. "Ok, so I have a stage manager, but my Taylor is MIA."

"Gina's ok." Ricky said. "She's a fighter and she'll be back for opening night."

"Did she text you?" Nini asked.

"No, you?"

"Mmm-mm." Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around me, pulling me backwards just as a sandbag landed right where I was standing, causing everyone to scream.

"Totally normal, just, heads-up from now on." Miss Jenn said.  turned around to see the person who grabbed me was EJ.

"Are you ok?!" He asked, hands still gripping my arms.

"Yeah, thanks to you. Its good to know you're not just quick on your feet in the pool." I said, hugging him in relief.

"Alrighty. Big Red, do you know how to hang a light?"