Chapter Twenty-Two

"BREAKING 'S NEWS' ALERT: By the end of today all positions aboard Earth's fleet will be finalised and humanity takes its next bold step to the survival of our species. With only four days to go until evacuation, S News is holding a 'goodbye letter to Earth' competition, so send us your final words to planet Earth as we say goodbye to her forever. The winner will be picked by Supreme Leader Abaddon and will be broadcast as part of S News final transmission from Earth. Send in your entry now!"

All Gabe ever wanted was someone to go on adventures with. Soon he'd have a whole crew - funny how it never works out the way you think.

That morning Gabe woke at his alarm and sprang out of bed, the weight of his excitement for the day ahead propelling him forwards - the only direction worth going. Bathrobe on, he began the religious shuffle to the bathroom, a path so well-trodden it was a wonder he hadn't started to erode the carpet.

He caught his reflection in the mirror. There was a tiredness to him but his eyes were still very much alive: the flickering fire of a rekindled spirit.

The morning shuffle continued past the beige walls of the beige flat in the greying tower block of the east London suburb he lived in, Gabe turned the light on, instantly bathing his world in a warm comforting glow. He thought about what it would be like waking up in the YAMA and the universe of possibilities that lay before him, the life that he and Tiffany would have together. He smiled.

With the kettle warming, he put on some music and grabbed a cup, spoon and the jar of Rocket fuel coffee, heaping a deep spoonful into his cup. He stood back and leaned against the kitchen counter humming to himself, this was going to be by far and away the best day of his life. As the water boiled he pictured himself confronting Cain - nothing aggressive, he had nothing to gain from that, but he wanted to see him after he was made pilot of the YAMA, just to walk past him; to meet his gaze and silently let him know that he was in control of his future, that he was master of his own destiny. He wanted that silence to be deafening.

Click. The sound of progress.

He stood in his kitchen with his coffee and enjoyed the peace and the solitude of the moment, wrapped up in his victory fantasy. A victory hard earned.

From the bedroom, he heard the familiar light shuffle of feet and the door to the bathroom click. He leaned over and took out her favourite mug, placed it on the counter and dropped in a teabag, he hadn't had a chance to see her since yesterday, she was already out when he'd got back but he'd text her the good news.

He knew once the toilet flushed, she'd come skipping out of there, all sun shining and full of energy, the perky shrew. Finally he could start to rebuild some of the damage done.

'Morning babes!' Chirped Tiffany. 'Aww I'm so proud of you, I just knew you could do it.'

Gabe smiled, it had been a long time since he'd last felt this proud of himself.

'One hundred percent on the pilot simulator! They have to make you the pilot now, right?'

'I don't see how they can't,' said Gabe, handing her a fresh cup of tea.

'Funny how it all works out, isn't it? I mean, we could have all been cramped in that EX for the last ten years and we would have missed out on the luxury of being an officer on a corporate shuttle. I guess it all worked out for the best.'

Gabe thought about the last ten years without Nate but decided to let it go, why ruin a happy morning.

'Hey, that reminds me. Do you know our old EX is still in it's hanger? My friend Monkey found it and was going to put it aside for me. We should go look around it for old times sake.'