Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dominique sat perfectly still as hair and makeup buzzed frantically around him. Last minute checks were relayed in his ear from the Producer as set lighting changed and crew began to clear the set.

He corrected his posture in his swivel chair, adjusted his neon pink diamante catsuit and checked his opening notes from the tablet fixed atop the heavily branded perspex desk. Taking time to remind himself of the position of all four cameras - he lived for this.

'And live in five, four, three, two...'

'Welcome and all praise Alan for another pre-task special of the Tasks of Redemption, an Abaddon Production!'

The studio audience erupted in choreographed applause and overzealous hollering.

'Y'alright loves, I'm your host, Dominique and what a show we have in store for you today. Joining me as always, is star quarterback for the American All-stars, turned Hollywood legend and star of the blockbuster series, 'The Peanut Allergies,' where he played renegade cop, Dirk Peanut, a single father forced to stop a corrupt government from spreading a deadly virus - it is of course Clem Dillinger! Clem, how are ya petal?'

'Happy to be here, Dom.'

Clem's beige suit was straining to contain his disproportionate frame, he was a man who looked uncomfortable in anything other than a blood splattered vest top. He strained at the starched white collar that pinched at his neck, giving his face a reddish hew against his closely cropped, sandy hair.

'And joining us is a very special guest. Not only was he a successful businessman; President of all the Americas and named Supreme Leader of the New World, but he single handedly saved humanity from the destruction of Earth: Supreme Leader Buzz Abaddon everyone.'

Rapturous applause broke out from the audience as Supreme Leader Abaddon smiled and waved to the crowd, tapping his Earth pin badge on the lapel of his black designer suit.

'Right my loves, it's a busy show, so let's crack on, shall we? The last task of redemption, what a rollercoaster of emotion that was? It was a winding slalom of a race with pitfalls and dangers at every turn. It had everything: asteroid showers and random black holes popping up from nowhere.'

Highlights from the previous night's action played out with every collision from every camera angle in glorious HD.

'Yet again, it feels like the same nine shuttles competing for the honours, with the rest just plodding their way through, making up the numbers,' announced Dominique to light applause.

'There's a clear gulf in class, Dom. That's undeniable.' Added Clem Dillinger.

'So, what did you make of it, Clem?'

'Just incredible, Dom. The man upstairs, the big guy, well, he's a genius, isn't he? It's like he can read our minds.'

'Well, he is omniscient,' said Dominique helpfully.

'I don't care where he's from, that God just seems to know everything. Those crews from North and South Korea have been at each other's throats from the get go and the way they went for each other during that task was just fierce. So, what does my man Alan do? He showed us all he was a peaceful God by crushing both their engines and leaving them stranded in space. What a lesson, Dom, it was as brilliant as it was confusing.'

'Never a truer word said, Clem, so let's see how all that has changed the leader board. The South Korean's, as you know, were flying high in top spot, but now we have a new leader: The Archangel have jumped to the top, in part to the incredible number of public votes they've received. What do you make of them, Clem?'