Chapter Forty-Four

Susan marched towards the briefing room flanked by her personal detail, menacing yet resplendent in royal blue. Throughout the network of tunnels, her banner, emblazoned with her beloved pet budgerigar Darwin now hung. It was Susan's idea to have the silver dagger in his beak as he held aloft an olive branch in one wing and the Book of Alan in the other, and she had to admit, it looked pretty marvellous. As part of her swearing in ceremony, she had ornate silver daggers made for each Champion to symbolise their lifelong fealty to her.

'How's this all sitting with you, Treacle?'

Monkey looked up at Jaibles and then to the oppressive military bunting that now dominated the corridors of the old Justice for Earth headquarters.

'How do you mean?'

'You know full well how I mean. The Mother of your child has gone full Mother of Dragons on us.'

'Will you keep your voice down, no one can know about that.'

'But don't you think you should have a word, or something?'

'Jaibles, she's following the literal word of God, what exactly do you think I should say? Besides, she's already demanded I leave the Archangel and join her shuttle as 'Holy Engineer,' so I need to pick my battles.'

'What did you say?'

'I told her no. While all this is going on, the Archangel needs me more than she does. Perhaps when the child is born it will be different.'

'How did she take it?'

'Not well. Something tells me that conversation isn't over.' Monkey looked back at Jaibles, 'but this could be my one chance to have the life I always dreamed of: the little house, the dog, the family...'

'What are you soft cocks whispering about?'

They spun around to see Wildcard and Kali closing in behind them.

'Just admiring the new decor - lovely don't you think?' grinned Jaibles.

'Not really,' said Kali, 'and I'm not too keen on our new strategy either.'

'Pembo and Gabe seem pretty on board,' replied Monkey.

'There isn't much my sister wouldn't sacrifice to see Abaddon dead', interjected Wildcard, 'and as for Gabe, he just needs to grow a pair and tell her how he feels.'

They rounded the corner and entered the briefing room.

'Come on, lets see what fresh new hell, God's got in store for us today.'

They were the last to enter the harsh neon lighting of the briefing room and Kali was shocked to see how many people filled the room. All previous safety protocols had been discarded.

'Finally! You can take a seat over there,' ordered Susan's advisor before signalling to the guard by the back entrance.

A steady murmur rippled through the room as a procession of guards marched in at speed.

'SILENCE!' he screamed, dropping to all fours. 'Her high priestess, Emissary to the Lord God Alan: Susan the Unworthy.'

The procession of royal blue uniforms formed a guard of honour at her throne, holding their spears aloft. Moments later, in glided Susan with the air of a victorious warrior.

'Thank you for joining me at such short notice. As time is of the essence, I shall be brief. Using the foundation of the original plan put forward by Pembo and her team, I have devised a new strategy. A strategy with one sole objective: the death and sacrifice of Buzz Abaddon.'