Chapter Forty-Nine

"SHUTTLE 'S NEWS' UPDATE: The magnanimous Supreme leader Abaddon has exceeded all expectation by offering to give Susan one final opportunity to surrender to avoid any unnecessary bloodshed. He will meet with her in a secret, neutral location with unprecedented access only on S News, live at 3pm."

Pembo joined Susan, Gabe and Monkey standing nervously in front of the teleporter awaiting the green light that would define the destiny of their species.

'You okay?' said Gabe. 'You look distracted.'

'I'm fine,' said Pembo. 'Let's do this.'

Susan remained stony faced, ready to absorb immense satisfaction in the humiliation of Abaddon. To strip him down and force feed him the tattered remains of his ego; marking this day as bloody retribution against every man who'd ever undermined her for her gender; for a human history of female subjugation; and for every patronising word he spoke to her at their meeting in her kitchen. A speech burned into her memory, and she would make him eat every last word.

'We should rethink this,' said Monkey.

Susan, Gabe and Pembo turned to look at him with contempt.

'This could be the last opportunity we get to broker peace. A real peace. To show him we're better than him, not worse.'

'We continue as planned,' said Susan turning back to the teleporter, willing the light to go green. 'The time for reasoned concessions has passed. We may never get another chance to rid the world of Abaddon without risking our fleet, and we're taking it.'

'Geezer,' he pleaded to Gabe, 'you can't seriously think this is a good idea.'

'After everything his EDEN has done to me, there is no other way.'

'Then why am I here? You have your two assassins. I want no part of this.'

'You are still my prisoner,' declared Susan. 'You stay with me until I choose the date of your execution. Pray I keep you close a little longer.'

The light flashed green and in they went.

'Welcome back m'loves,' said Dominique in a hushed whisper as if commentating on live sport. 'We understand Susan and a select few of her terrorists have now arrived at the negotiations, so let's go live to the action - only on S News, your No.1 channel for Peace. Providing audio commentary of the proceedings are myself and Clem Dillinger.'

Gabe was first to enter. Abaddon and his party were already seated around the circular black marble table. Abaddon sat with his back to his transporter with Stone standing alone to his left. The outstretched, welcoming arms of Rupert greeted them warmly. His tall frame, dressed in a neatly pressed pinstripe suit with club tie in a Windsor knot, cast a long shadow over the reserved figure of Tiffany.

'Gabe, you're looking fantastic!' Rupert laughed encouragingly. 'Okay, everything has been set up as you wanted: this baby has its full defences up, is empty except for us and a few light refreshments. So what say you guys make yourself comfortable and see if we can't save the world before hitting a quick power lunch at the Harringdon, Yah?' Rupert winked.

'Correct me if I'm wrong, Clem, but I believe the man speaking to be a Rupert Maxwell-Rupert III - a Junior Executive aboard the Corporate Finance Shuttle 'Komy, Hubbard & Phelps.' A bright young man with a big future ahead of him.'

Susan sat directly in front of Abaddon as Pembo placed herself closest to Stone. There he was - everything that was wrong with the evolution of man encapsulated in one loathsome individual: destroyer of lives; destroyer of futures, destroyer of Earth and yet, as he sat in front of her, despite the teflon sheen of a media politician, there now seemed a whisper of frailty to him, a crack of sunlight exposing his true age.