Chapter Forty-Five

'We have to go after her!' screamed Wildcard.

Susan was still sitting motionless on her throne when what was left of the aborted mission returned. The briefing room, now dimly lit by fading candles, cast a long shadow across her heavy burden.

Her stony face belied the guilt and turmoil that raged within her. She consoled herself that this was just the weight a leader must carry; she had fought too long and too hard to claim the power her responsibility deserved, and if her meeting with Abaddon had shown her anything, it's that any weakness would be used to undermine and pry her from her destiny. Alan had entrusted her to lead his religion and redeem humanity and now it hung by a thread. She'd lost a quarter of her fleet and gained nothing. She needed to act decisively or risk the rest deserting her.

'Our strategy hasn't changed,' she said coldly. 'All our resources go towards the sacrifice of Abaddon to our Lord God Alan and the ultimate redemption of humanity. All else is secondary.'

'Pembo would have never left anyone behind.'

'Pembo was a leader,' yelled Susan, 'and would have understood the greater good.'

'She wouldn't have been so stupid as to tell Jäger the whole plan!'

Susan's guards unsheathed their swords and surrounded Wildcard.

'I understand this is a difficult time for you, but I will not be undermined in this manner, so I suggest you choose your next words very carefully.'

Kali broke through the armed guard and shepherded Wildcard out of the room as Susan rose to her feet.

'What happened today will not be forgotten and those responsible for this failure will be found and dealt with accordingly. Pembo was an important part of all our lives and in time we will honour her memory, but I forbid any attempt at a rescue. Our resources are too precious and lest you forget, on receiving your silver dagger, you each committed your shuttles and crews to my cause, so anyone leaving this base against my express permission will be treated as an act of piracy.'

'Space piracy,' whispered Jaibles, wide-eyed with excitement before quietly sneaking out of the briefing room.

'You are dismissed,' she declared sullenly. As they filed out, drained and exhausted, she called out for Monkey to stay. He approached her throne as she waited for the room to clear.

'We must think of the future,' she said plainly. 'After we are victorious, your place will be by my side to guide our child to flourish and rule in the new world. You could have been killed up there, which would have been entirely unacceptable,' she declared regally. 'Therefore, I hereby forbid you from taking part in any future operations. Your place is here by my side.'

'You're right,' said Monkey gently, 'and when we are victorious that is where I'll be, but until then the safest place for me is on the Archangel helping end this fight.' He kissed her hand and walked towards the exit.

'I would think long and hard before you disobey a direct order from me,' she called out as he left her alone in the shadows.

When Jaibles caught up with Gabe and Monkey, they were already in the Archangel. He simply followed the sound of arguing to locate them in the engine room.

'There you are Geezer, will you talk some sense into him, he's going to get us all killed,' said Monkey exasperated.

'Everything alright?'

'Not really, Jaibles,' said Gabe, screwing shut the release valve and storming off towards the bridge. Monkey threw his arms in the air and followed him out.