Friday and Saturday - To Love and To Cherish, for Better or for Worse

Prompt by: MachoNachoKennedy

The morning was a complete disaster. It was awkward between the two of you as what happened last night, was still fresh in your minds. For the first time since Monday, neither of you were fighting for the tiniest of things because you were both too busy trying to process what happened. You and Lena were quietly eating breakfast when someone knocked at the door.

"Love?"

Sasha calls out through the door. Lena clenches her jaw at the sound of the familiar voice. She hated how Sasha always ruined every moment with you. Lena didn't think she could hate Sasha more but was proved wrong when she heard Sasha call you with a pet name. That was her thing.

You ignored Lena and stood up to answer the door.

"Hey!" You stepped aside to let her in. "Good Morning."

"I was worried sick. You didn't call me last night. Did something happen?"

You feel guilty for making her worry. It hadn't been your intention but last night was too much to process.

"I uh...fell asleep. I'm so sorry."

Sasha smiles and gives you hug as she turns to face Lena.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. I'm just glad but of you made it back to the hotel safely. So Lena, did you enjoy the tour yesterday?"

Lena stops herself from answering truthfully. She knew that neither you or Sasha would like to hear how she wanted to answer.

"Lena?"

Lena was looking down at her plate, playing with her food to busy herself.

"Yeah. It was fine."

She mumbles with a smile.

Sasha nods and you invite her for breakfast were the three of you talk about the presentation on Monday. Lena just listened, not really in the mood to argue.

"So I have an idea for you presentation that Mr. Tanaka might just love. Why don't you make a quick video about families or married couples who have been together for a while? That way, it can show how L-Corp is helping keep people connected through the technology you guys put out. He's a sucker for these kinds of stories."

Neither you or Lena needed much convincing to agree to the idea. Lena really had nothing to lose as she had heard that Mr. Tanaka's company valued family.

"Great. Why don't we start this tomorrow?"

X

Lena had Sam look for couples and families in the US, while you, Lena and Sasha searched for people in Japan. Lena tried to stop Sasha from coming to the interviews but felt bad for pushing her out of her idea. In the end, Sasha going the two of you to the interviews.

You started off with the first one.

"Okay, Mr. Prescott...how long have you been married?"

"7 years. Going to be 8, this coming month."

Lena took charge of the second done.

"How did you and Mrs. Watanabe meet?"

"Me and my family had gone to the beach. I was minding my own business, walking along the ocean when I saw her hiding under the umbrella. Next thing I know, I'm suddenly married to her for 16 years."

The three of you all take turns with the last couple. The very same one that the two of you had met when you and Lena had gotten drunk.

"So Mr. Kojima, tell me about your relationship with Mrs. Kojima."

"Well, what can I say? She's the love of my life" He chuckled. "She's always made my day and the one who has made me the man that I am today." He added. "Just like you..we've been through our ups and downs. Would you believe me if I told you that I was in the same situation as you so long ago. I...I became unfaithful to my wife."

The room is quiet as he talks about what happened earlier in their relationship. Mrs. Kojima just smiles and squeezes his hand a little tighter to help him continue to finish he stories. He gives her a smile and continues.

"I didn't know what to do. I became an alcoholic which led for me to lose everything. I was nothing without her."

"How did you end up together again?"

Sasha asks Mrs. Kojima.

"Forgiveness."

Mrs. Kojima just utters the word as if it was the answer to everything. Which it was. All these years you had resented Lena for what she had done but maybe it was time to let things go.

"How did you do it? How did you get through it?"

You ask her.

"Forgiving someone is a decision. It's a choice. One that you must be ready and willing to do. You can't forgive someone and continue holding on to their mistakes. It's not going to work because it will just make things worse for the two people."

"I made a promise to her that I will never leave her side again and renewed our vows....to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, for better or for worse." The two of them complete the vows. Giving each other a smile. "The vows are sacred. It's the key to a successful marriage."

Both you and Lena are trying to hold in your tears. This could have been the two of you but maybe it was too late now. 5 years was a long time and Lena was soon to be married.

"Okay, I think that's it. Thank you for your time Mr. and Mrs. Kojima."

They thanked you and headed back to attend their shop. Sasha could see that something was going on between you and Lena when she turned to face you. Both of you were close to tears.

"Hey..um let's go grab some dinner. I know a place."

"You two should go. I'm just going to head back to the hotel. I need to rest. Have fun"

Lena stood up and headed out the door. You tried to get her to come with the two of you so she wouldn't be alone but she refused, saying that she was going to be fine alone. With no other choice but to accept, you went to dinner with Sasha.