S E V E N

"Mum...can't you just stay?" Nora asked, she was kind of scared to let her mother go.

Maude looked at her daughter, she looked broken and quite upset. The look on Nora's face made her mother feel guilty of living in another country. "I can't, darling. I have to work and get back to Linus, Fabian and Sofia."

Nora nodded disappointed and let her eyes glance over Aubrey before looking outside. "Of course," she mumbled. Nora knew her mother had a second family she had to take care of, but it felt like a betrayal. Nora and Aubrey saw their mum once in a while because they were living apart from each other. At first, Nora didn't really care about the distance because she didn't know better, but since she was in a critical situation, she wanted her mother at her side.

"I will be back on Friday, baby. We will keep in touch, we will find a way," her mother said and grabbed Nora's hand. "I promise."

"I know," was the short answer of Nora.

"I love you, you know that."

Nora looked up and locked her brown eyes with her mum's ocean blue eyes. "I love you," she whispered. Her mother hugged her. "Give Linus, Fabian and Sofia hugs and kisses."

"I will. Keep strong, okay? I know you got it in you," her mother replied and pulled back. "I will see you Friday," she smiled and walked over to Aubrey. They said goodbye, as well. "Keep an eye on your sister," she told Aubrey.

"Of course, mum. Always," Aubrey smiled. "Have a safe flight."

Maude nodded and walked to the door. "Bye, girls!"

"Bye, mum!" Both the girls said when she left the room.

Silence fell in the room. Aubrey and Nora were looking at each other, both not knowing what to say. Maybe it was awkward, but it also could be normal. Aubrey got up from the chair and sat down next to Nora.

"Can I braid your hair?" Aubrey asked and smiled widely.

"Sure," Nora quietly answered. "I showered this morning, so it may be a warzone up there."

Aubrey smirked and helped Nora with helping to move around in bed. She sat behind Nora on the bed, a bit higher, so it was clear to braid. Aubrey started to brush Nora's blonde, long hair and divided it into two parts.

"It's unfair," Nora began and sighed. "I feel like we are just a family, not her family."

Aubrey started to braid the left side of Nora's hair. "Why?"

"I mean, she lives in Switzerland, bloody Switzerland. She left us for Linus when we were young, we were toddlers. And she just starts a family with some Swiss guy, and we barely get to see her. She lives there, not particularly in the neighbourhood, she spends more time with them than with us, it just feels so unfair, like we are an experiment before starting her real family," Nora opened up. "And I know we don't know better than this, and that Victoria is basically our second mum, she feels maybe more like our mum than mum does. But it just sucks."

"I know," Aubrey sighed, she agreed to this. All of it was true. "But she is our mum, she tries hard."

"I can see she does, it just doesn't feel right. For example: I'm in the worst state I possibly could ever be, and she just leaves, again. I want her here, on my side."

Aubrey bit her lip and listened to her wish. "You don't know it, but she was here for a month, Nora. From the day you were brought in, till today. She was always on your side. And she goes back home because she knows you are okay now," she told her sister.

"True," Nora deeply sighed. "But it feels not right." It was hard and challenging to sit in a position without support. "Can we stop for a minute?"