F I F T Y T H R E E

Nora placed the sunglasses on her nose and left the Mercedes hospitality. The warm air hit her face, it was not that warm or cold, it was pleasant. Her eyes glanced over the people, it looked like there were more people in the paddock than usual. She ran her hand through her hair and smiled at a few photographers.

Someone padded on her back. "You changed, I see," George's voice filled her ears. They looked at each other. "I really liked that blouse, but the Mercedes shirt looks wonderful as well," he smiled.

"I came here as a supporter, just to finish the year with you in Abu Dhabi, but reserve driver it is," she said and smiled. "I don't mind, but I can't be at your garage this weekend."

"But that is amazing, right?" George asked. "Is there a reason why?"

She shrugged. "I have no idea, to be honest. Toto called me this morning to tell me I had to do some interviews this weekend as reserve driver, just publicity stuff."

"Odd for the last race weekend of the season," he muttered.

"Yeah, I mean, it isn't like next year will be a lot different, but he must have a good reason for it. But it's nice, nothing to complain about."

"That's good, love," he widely smiled. It made him excited and happy to see Nora back on track again. Although she was a reserve driver for Mercedes, Nora was there to get back in the motorsport. George knew Nora made the right choice on signing Mercedes a year ago. "I have to go, I will see you later."

"Good luck, darling," she said and gave him a kiss before he walked away. Nora made her way to the Mercedes garage. Fans made selfies and photos with her, it was new to her, but she didn't mind. One thing she knew was being an F1 driver, or being in the picture of an F1 team, was way more different than F2 - and it was obvious, but she didn't expect it to be this different. The car was different, that was obvious, but the team and the media around it were unalike. Nora got a headset, and she entered the garage.

"Ah Nora, good to see you," Bono, the engineer of Lewis, said and smiled.

She was surprised many people suddenly paid attention to her, or more attention like she was important this weekend. "Hey."

Toto entered the garage as well. "Nora, do you want to pay attention this weekend on everything? Just for observation, for yourself. Stay up-to-date," he mentioned and sat down on his stool.

Important, I might be more important than I thought this weekend. "Understood," she replied and looked around to face every one of the Mercedes team who was preparing for the last first free practice of the 2020 season.

"Nora!"

She turned around and looked around. Many people were walking around, she couldn't figure out who shouted her name. Until her eyes fell on Toto, who walked in a straight line to her direction. "Hey," she casually smiled.

Toto seemed distraught. "We need you to race today." Nora straightened her face and held in her breath. "Lewis is not able to race today, he is feeling sick. We have waited as long as possible to make the call, but we really need you."

"Like now?"

It was already known Lewis wasn't feeling well this weekend, but he was convinced he was going to race. But Nora never thought this would happen. As a reserve driver, everything was possible, and reserve drivers were there for a reason: to replace a driver when it had to, and if not, the reserve driver was there for publicity. She knew there was a chance, but she was still surprised. The race was only starting in less than an hour.