Chapter 20 - Music

I need some water. Kris snuck out of his room, moving the door at the perfect speed so it wouldn't creak. His throat felt so dry. He thought he was sick, but he needed to make sure. Kris tip toed gently down the stairs. He got to the fridge and he grabbed his cup. He got the water and sipped it, then poured some more, sipped it, and poured, sipped it and poured.
Kris wiped his mouth. Why is this horrible taste still in my goddamn mouth? He wanted more water, but he knew it probably wasn't a good idea. Kris pulled out a chair and decided to sit down. "Ugh." I don't understand. My head hurts. Kris got up and reached for the medicine cabinet. He moved all the bottles out of the way and found one for headaches. I guess this'll help.

Susie's temporary house, a couple of hours earlier...

"So... I'm assuming all of this goes into effect Wednesday then?"

"Yep. All of it."

"And I can go to school then? On Wednesday, I mean."

"Yes, Susie."

"Sweeeet."

Undyne picked up the binder. "I'll turn this in." She head for the door. "I'll let you know if you can go to school earlier or something." They both said bye, and Undyne walked out the door.

Got the place to myself. Susie walked into the bathroom and started to brush her teeth. Her teeth were pretty yellow, even though she made sure to brush them a lot. She thinks it's genetic. After she finished brushing she got into the shower and finished her usual routine. She dried off and put on the clean clothes she left out earlier. Her hair was still a little wet, but she didn't really care. That's how she gets her messy style after all. Susie walked out of the bathroom and stood in the middle of the room. She looked down and scratched her head. "Huh. I really got nothing to do." Susie walked back to her bedroom. "Guess that's how it is usually." She jumped into bed and got comfortable. She chuckled a little to herself. "It's definitely better without my dad though." She turned her head over, and fell asleep.

Wednesday, Sept. 26.

Susie stretched so hard she tugged the sheets off the bed. The sheets on this bed were terrible. She hopped out onto the floor. Susie let out a huge yawn and stretched again. "What time is it?" Susie unlocked her phone. "Wow." She rubbed her eyes. Susie realized that not setting an alarm was probably a terrible idea. It was already 2 pm. She decided to take the remainder of her money and find somewhere to eat.

Susie left the police building and walked around town. She hummed to herself and strolled through the empty town. Of course it was empty, because everyone was still in school. She decided to see what San's was all about.

Dinggg

There was no one behind the counter. "Hello?" No one answered. "Huh." She proceeded into the building, and as soon as she did she heard, "Heya."

"Shi-" Susie jumped and turned around. "Oh god. You scared me."

Sans walked inside. "Heh. Sorry Susie." He got behind the counter and put something of his away. "So uhh, you come here for anything?"

"Oh. Just wanted to see what this store was." She looked around.

"Shouldn't you uh... be in school or somethin'?"

"Nah. I'm excused for today. Do you have any food?" She asked after only seeing candy and sodas everywhere. "Like, real food?"

"Uhhh. Food?" Sans opened a mini fridge under the counter and pulled out half a sub sandwich. "How about this?"

Susie felt off about accepting half a sandwich from someone she barely knew, but she was kind of desperate. "How much?"

"On the house. You look like you need it anyways." Sans slid the sandwich towards her. "I mean, what do you expect? It's half-eaten. Heheh."

"Heh. Yeah, thanks."

"No prob."

Susie took the sandwich and walked over to the drinks. She paid for an iced coffee and left. What else is there to do? "Hmm..." Kris is gonna be out of school soon. Susie head for the school, while eating some of her sandwich. This shit tastes pretty good. As she approached the school, she saw a bunch of kids outside the back. She snuck around the school and tried to see what was going on. It's Kris. I want to say hi, but I don't know if I'm allowed to. Susie peeked around the corner and tried to get his attention by waving her hand. C'mon. Notice. Oh wait. Susie took out her phone and texted Kris.

"Behind you."

He instantly turned around with a confused look on his face. Then he saw Susie. He put away his earbuds, made sure no one was watching, and walked over to her.

"Heyy Kris."

"Um, hi?" He chuckled.

"Heh. Don't ask. I just wanted to hang out for a little." She smiled. "What's up?"

"I was just in PE. The gym is closed for a while, so we're gonna be outside for the next couple of days." Kris rubbed his eyes.

"Dude, you look tired."

"Well, I've had trouble sleeping lately. But I'm alright."

"Awe." Susie handed him her iced coffee. "Here."

"For me?"

"Heh. Duh."

"You keep it."

Susie held out the coffee closer to Kris. "C'mon buddy. It'll help you survive class."

"Well, thank you Susie. I appreciate it." Kris downed the entire coffee.

"Whoa, dude. I meant we can share."

Kris took a breath from all the drinking. "Oh shit."

Susie laughed. "It's fine. I literally don't care." She ruffled his hair and left it out of his eyes. "Don't worry about it."

Kris tried to hide the fact he was blushing. I could ask her right now. "Thank you."

"Mhm." Susie replied while chewing her sandwich.

"I need more music suggestions. So give me some."

"Heh." Susie took out her phone. "Okay. Here." She showed him her playlist. I really like this one. It's called 'Sandman'. Or 'Enter Sandman' or whatever." She took out her earbuds and gave him one. She sat down against the brick wall, and Kris followed. They sat there listening for a while.

"This song's pretty good," Kris told her, trying to impress her with his interest in the music.

"Heh. Thanks."

"Show me another."

Susie smirked. "Okay, okay." She swiped through her playlist. "I like this one. It's called, 'Don't stay' by Linkin Park." After they listened for a while, Susie asked if he liked the song.

"Yeah, honestly. It's pretty good. Even though I don't usually listen to this kind of music."

"Yeah, well I'm glad you enjoy my music. Maybe I can show you more sometime."

"Definitely. Sounds good to me." Kris peered around the corner. "Huh."

"What?"

"My class is gone."

Susie was about to stand up, but Kris reached out and stopped her. "Don't worry about it. I won't get in trouble."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." Kris laughed. "My teacher doesn't care anymore."

"Heheh. Alright, dude."

Susie looked down at her phone. "We should probably head back soon. Don't want your mom getting mad or something. Although I doubt she does."

"Heh. Oh yeah she does." Kris looked down at his phone. "Let's go. Follow me home?"

"That's the plan."

The two got up and head back to Kris's house. Kris asked if Susie would be able to stay over, but she declined. She told him she wished she could, but it's against the rules. She figured it was for safety, or something. They walked together in silence like usual. They really enjoyed each other's company.

"Thanks for walking home with me."