Chapter 8

My dad is usually quiet and doesn't say much and he especially doesn't try to intimidate anyone.

"You better make sure my baby girl has fun tonight." If my dad's green eyes had laser vision he'd burn Cam alive. Adding to my terror my mom nods next to my dad.

"Can you both chill? He's not proposing. He's just taking me to a dance." I take Cam's hand and he tightens his hold on me.

"Wait." My mom turns to grab her phone from the coffee table, pulling it up in front of her, "I want a picture of you going to your first school dance."

Cam easily wraps his arm around my waist making me lean into him. My dad grunts his disapproval, but lets mom take her picture. After she takes it, Cam extends his hand out to shake hands with my dad and he takes it grumpily.

"It was nice meeting you, Mr. Romano."

"You too, kid." He lets go of his hand and his cheeks turn a little pink. I think he's barely realized he's been rude to him since I let him in the house.

"It was nice meeting you too, Mrs. Romano." He shakes my mom's hand and she smiles sweetly at him as if she wasn't just part of the be-rude-to-Cam party.

We step out of the house and I feel like I can finally breathe. I didn't think my parents were going to be that hard on him especially after mom knowing there's a boy that can potentially be my boyfriend!

Cam walks me to a tall charcoal Jeep Wrangler and opens the passenger door for me. I wait for him to settle himself in and start to drive to apologize.

"Sorry about my parents." I run my finger along the edges of my phone.

Chuckling softly he glances at me before looking back at the road, "They're cool. They just want their baby girl to have fun."

"My mom knows a little about you so I thought they'd go easy on you and my dad isn't usually like that." I look out the window, I don't want him to see how badly I wanted them to like him.

"You told your mom about me?" I hear the smirk in his voice.

Watching the houses go by as we drive through town I answer, "I didn't tell her we were dating. Or at least fake dating. I just said there's a boy I like."

"So I'm likable?" 

I turn to look at him and he has a small smile playing on his lips. I really wish this would've been real. I'd really love to feel those soft-looking lips on mine.

"Yeah." I'm surprised by my honesty because I know if I admit to him that I actually like him, he'll never really be mine. He's Zoey's.

He clears his throat, "Your dad just wants what's best for you, and today that's for a boy taking you to a dance know he better not be stupid enough to try something other than to make sure his daughter has fun at her first school dance."

The corners of my lips pull up. If I had any doubt of my growing affection for him, there isn't any now. My dad would like him too if he heard him tell me this. 

"You look nice," I tell him as I notice he actually did try to dress nice. I didn't think he would. 

He's wearing a dark gray suit with a black button-down shirt underneath, paired with white and black checkered Vans. His hair on the other hand seems untamed. Looks like he tried to get dress nice, but didn't care much for his hair which makes me smile. I like that he still seems himself underneath his suit.

His cheeks turn pink a little and I'm shocked that I got him to blush!

"Thanks, you do too." He mumbles as he shifts in his seat and I figure I should just leave him alone now. He's obviously uncomfortable with me complimenting him. He probably just feels weird because I should know he only has eyes for Zoey and I'm sitting here next to him shooting my shot.