Chapter 21

After the hellos and introductions, we walk into the kitchen where the aroma of the food smells divine. I can see where Cam and Nash get their blue eyes from, but Cam's dark hair must be from his dad because his mom, Emma has the light brown hair Nash shares with her. 

I feel better about my change of clothes when I notice she's in a long gray wool cardigan. She's about the same height as me and looks way younger than I imagined her.

"Cam told me, you're Italian and I don't know how to make any Italian food from scratch, but I promise my spaghetti with meatballs is delicious." She smiles so excitedly that I could only return the smile.

"I'll take your word for it," I tell her as I spot two empty jars of store-bought spaghetti sauce on the countertop. 

There's no way I'm mentioning that to my parents. I've never had any Italian food where part of the ingredients was pre-made. Better yet, my parents are opposed to it. They say it's not real Italian food and I hardly ever eat spaghetti. There's also no way I'll break Emma's heart by telling her that.

"Take a seat at the dinner table. Cam, help me set up the table, I'll go get Nash and let him know dinner's ready." She smiles and walks out of the kitchen.

Cam takes my hand leading me to the dinner table as if I didn't know where it was. It's in plain sight and I've come to his house before.

"Does your mom know you have parties here?" I ask once I'm seated.

He smiles broadly, leaning over, giving me a better view of those deep blue eyes, "No. Don't go ratting me out tonight."

A giggle escapes me, but he quickly stops it with a soft press of his lips. His tongue darts out causing me to gasp. His mom could walk in any minute and he wants to deepen the kiss? He takes my gasp as a good sign and bites down on my bottom lip and he growls softly.

"Cameron Percy." Emma's voice is enough to have Cam standing up straight. 

She's frowning at him while Nash groans, "See. This is what I deal with daily, mom."

She meets my eyes and drops her frown, looking at me sympathetically, "I promise you I taught him manners."

Smiling, grateful she doesn't think low of me just from the way she was frowning at Cam, "He likes to show them to me once in a while."

Emma meets Cam's eyes and giggles, "Set the table." She turns to Nash who looks bored to even be here, "Help your brother."

Cam and Nash move around in the kitchen, bringing everything to the dinner table. Finally having all the food in the middle of the table, we go about serving ourselves. 

Emma takes a sip of her water before smiling at me, "Cam says you want to become a teacher?"

Nodding I meet her eyes, "Yes. I'm just not so sure in which area."

I take a bite of the spaghetti and I'm surprised how good her meatballs are and how well they blend with the spaghetti and her pre-made sauce. Where the sauce is lacking in flavor, her meatballs more than make up for it.

She lifts one of her eyebrows, "You'd be willing to teach high schoolers?" She glances at Cam and Nash quickly before meeting my eyes again, "They're not always the easiest to deal with."

Causing me to laugh softly, I shrug, "Sometimes they need a push. But I might want to get my master's to become a professor. I'm really good with math, I think I can do something with that."

Cam scoffs, making me turn to him and see he's frowning, "You're good at everything. You'll be able to be a teacher in whatever you choose."

My heart flutters and I smile. Emmas eyes practically twinkle now, "Aww, Cam you're so sweet to her."