Chapter 20

I feel two arms wrap around me from behind and I instantly sink in, smelling my favorite cologne.

His lips press on my neck, giving me a soft kiss, "Penelope and Vince went to go get McDonald's for lunch. Told them to get us something too."

Shutting my locker, he doesn't let go of me. Instead, he leads us out of the hallway as he walks behind me with his arms around my waist.

"Where's Austin?"

Chuckling he nods in form of acknowledgment to a boy who called out his name, but answers me anyway, "Got caught smoking behind the school. He's in detention."

Concern overfills me and I look over my shoulder to meet his gaze as he keeps directing us outside, "He still smokes?"

Kissing my temple, he chuckles, "Yeah, he always has."

I face forward as we near our spot by the tree and I wonder what Penelope thinks of it. I wonder if it bothers her or if she doesn't care. Smoking is really bad for your lungs.

Setting my things down Cam settles himself on the ground and pulls my hand, pulling me to sit in front of him between his legs. It's been two weeks since my birthday trip to Santa Cruz and there hasn't been any talk of Zoey or Thomas and I'm grateful for it because I feel like I can finally enjoy Cam the way I've been wanting to. He doesn't seem to mind either because he's been more affectionate than he was before. Maybe he just likes all the naughty things he's been letting me do to him in our car rides home.

Natalie plops herself down in front of us, "Are your cousins still in town?"

Nodding, I almost jump out of my skin when I feel Cam's cold hand go under my hoodie. Natalie can't tell he's doing this since his other arm is already wrapped around my middle. Chuckling softly in my ear, he moves down to kiss the side of my neck.

Struggling to get the words out, I tell her, "They're actually getting transferred here next week. So they'll be around a lot more now."

Giovanna repeated the first grade so although she's a year older than us. She's in the same grade as us.

Natalie smiles big, "Good. I need some advice on some boy stuff and although you and Penelope have been great friends to me." She looks between me and Cam before meeting my eyes with her own, her cheeks turn a little pink, "I just need to talk to someone about sex."

I feel Cam stiffen behind me and I will him not to say something mean. He's been nothing but sweet and I really don't want to be reminded how nasty and mean Cam can get.

"Giovanna will definitely like some girl talk," I say before Cam can say anything.

His hand under my hoodie lowers to the top of the waistband of my jeans. "That's girl talk?" He says it low, near my ear.

I shove him back with my elbow when Natalie glares at me. I haven't told Natalie or Penelope what Cam and I have been doing because they'll just remind me that I'll end up hurt and I'm really enjoying Cam the way he is with me now. Even the two parties we've gone to have been fun. Zoey wasn't at either of them and I was more than happy to have Cam all to myself.

Natalie smiles softly after I stick my tongue at her glare, "Are you guys going to the Halloween party next week?"

"Yes, Halloween parties are always wild." Cam wraps his arms around my waist again.

Her eyes widen in excitement, "Oh! You guys should dress as an iconic couple." She taps her chin, in thought which only makes me want to laugh, "Harley Quinn and the Joker."

I scrunch my nose just as Cam speaks up, "I saw a lot of Harley Quinn last year. Plus, I'm more of a Marvel fan."

"Who's hungry?" Penelope sings holding up two brown bags with a yellow M on them as Vince holds the drinks.