There's more to training than just power

"So, you are training Ele today," Cilan commented as he stepped into the training grounds at the back of Dean Drayden's house.

"Cilan!" Ash shouted excitedly, before rushing towards his best friend. "How did it go? Did you pass?!" He asked, excitedly.

"Yes," the green-haired boy replied. "I've become the youngest Pokemon Connoisseur out there... even if I am only level C for now."

"I am so happy for you! Congrats!" Ash jumped on the older boy and gave him an Usaring hug. Pansage moved towards the other pokemon, as the dragons congratulating him. "Mom and I got you a gift!" He exclaimed, jumping away and rushing towards his bag.

Cilan laughed at his hyperactive friend: "There was no need for a gift."

"There is! It is a very important moment. On that needs to be celebrated!" Ash protested, with a cute pout and Growlithe eyes. "Please accept it."

"Ok," he relented, knowing he could never beat him when the Growlithe eyes come out.

"Oh, and you are staying over tonight. Mom is gonna make you a feast to celebrate." Ash informed him while handing him a small box.

"Am I ever gonna win against you Ketchum's?" Cilan asked, to no one in particular, chuckling slightly as he took the box.

"Nop," Ash popped the 'p', smirking slyly.

He was almost shaking from excitement, as he watched his friend open the box and reveal the present within.

"Wow..." Cilan gasped, looking shockingly at the Leaf Stone within the box. "You... you shouldn't have. You really didn't need to... I don't know what to say." He stuttered, not being able to snap out of his stunned state. "I can't accept this," he finally said. "Evolutionary stones are too expensive."

"Well, you will," Ash told him firmly. "You managed to become the youngest Pokemon Connoisseur ever! That needs to be celebrated big! This is why you will accept the Leaf Stone. Shh!" Ash shushed his friend as he opened his mouth to protest. "I am gonna be a Dragon Master, Cilan. I have no use for a Leaf Stone, not now, not ever." He told him. "If you are worried about the price, don't be. Ladon found it while we were training at the Nature Preserve. After too many Dig moves in a mock battle, the ground collapsed, taking Ladon with him. I was honestly worried for him for a second, but he soon came out as if nothing had happened, holding that same Leaf Stone on his mouth." He informed the older boy. "It cost me nothing, so don't worry about it and enjoy the present!"

"If you are sure..." Cilan finally relented, seeing no lie in his eyes. Then again Ash was too pure for something like lying. "But I won't use it now. Neither Pansage nor I are ready for evolution."

"All in its due time, my boy," Ash replied, suddenly sounding very mature.

"Where did that come from?!" Cilan laughed, surprised by the sudden maturity of his comment.

Ash always showed a mature side when it came to the care of pokemon and his view of the world, but he never said things like that!

"That's what Drayden-sensei is always telling Ladon," Ash answered. "He doesn't want to be a little Gible anymore and it's always pressuring me to teach him Draco Meteor." He sighed. "I get to calm him down most of the time and get some variety into his roster of moves, so it would not be too focused on dragon moves. But he never stops wanting evolution to come faster. I've only had him for half a year now, but he has become quite strong, stronger than a Gible for sure. I still don't know why he is not evolving, even I get frustrated over it sometimes. I just feel sad for Ladon. But Drayden-sensei is always there telling us that we should be calm and that everything will come in its due time. I think he knows what's the problem but won't say it."