Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Hey mom. How are you?", I asked, as I dropped my coat and my purse on a chair nearby the dining table.
She was sitting nearby the window. She, like I did, loved to sit near the window and look outside. My parents were lucky enough to have a house that had a nice view on the front. There weren't that many cars passing by and there was a lot of nature.
She craned her head my way and smiled.
"I'm fine Mira. Very glad to be home actually."
"Good. Do you still take your medicine?"
"Yes, I do. Your father and your brother make sure I do."
"Do you want something to drink?", my father asked. He was already halfway to the kitchen.
"No, thanks dad, I just had lunch."
"Who were you with?", he asked.
I exchanged a look with my mother and then she gestured it was okay to tell him. Even though I had not even told her who I was with, as a mom she didn't have to ask and I didn't have to tell her, she already knew.
"I was out shopping with Max", I said.
My father folded his arms in front of him and tilted his head a bit to the side.
"I didn't know you made so much money you could just go out shopping."
"Well, dad, I think you'd be pretty amazed at what Mr. Hensly is paying me", I chuckled. But my dad didn't laugh, his face was dead serious.
"Max paid for everything."
"He really put some kind of spell on you didn't he?", he said.
"No dad, he didn't. If you would actually take the time to get to know him, you would know he's quite okay."
"I don't need to get to know that white privileged boy."
That was it, he unfolded his arms and walked into the kitchen.
I heaved a sigh and looked at my mother.
"He'll come around sweetheart. Just give him some time. In the meanwhile, maybe you can tell me about Max."
My heart started to beat faster and my whole body started to glow with the thought about him and these last days we spent together. Unconsciously I started to smile.
"He must be really something, by the look on your face."
"Mom, he is amazing!", I exclaimed. "He can cook and he is so sweet. Plus he makes the best breakfast pancakes ever!"
My mother's brown eyes had a sparkle in them and she smiled.
"I'm glad he makes you so happy, masuqa", she said.
Masuqa means something like sweetheart.
"He does mom. He's not like any other man I met or dated."
"Your father will come around, I'm sure. We just need to let him adjust to this and give him some time", she said. The look on her face was comforting. I really hoped she was right.
"I just know that when he meets him he will like him. Yes he is white and rich, but we don't know how he grew up, maybe he was really poor and had an unhappy childhood.. All I know is he really worked hard to make his business a success."
"You know all I want is for you to be happy, your father wants to see you happy too, he doesn't mean to be mean like that."
"I know but it is racist, it shouldn't matter what he looks like. I mean he could also be happy that I found a man who is wealthy and makes sure I have everything I wanted. Although that is not the most important thing. He really loves me mom", I said.
"It is just very uncommon in our community for a girl like you to get involved with a white man like Max. Mira you just have to understand that. I have told you many times how it works", she said a bit agitated.
"I know mom but we don't live there and times have changed."
We both stayed silent for a while until I changed the subject. I didn't want to fight over Max right now.
So I started to ask about Julian and how he was doing in college.
It must be hard for him to concentrate on his school work after all that happened with my mother. If he came back before I'd leave I would ask him.
I also asked her if she had heard anything from our family and she told me she got some calls and she showed me some cards she had received. Most of our family still lived in India, but there were some relatives that also lived in America and we had one aunt, a sister of my father, who lived in Canada.
"Mira, can you come help me prepare the chapati?", my father yelled from the kitchen.
"Do you mind being alone for a bit mom?", I asked her.
"No, it's okay, go help your dad. I already prepared naan this morning."
"Good mom. It's good for you to do things again."
I got up and made my way to the kitchen. I really hoped my dad would leave the 'Max' situation for what it was. I mean, we were never going to agree on him.
"You're making punjabi kadhi, I see."
I saw by the ingredients that were all over the countertop. The union pakora's needed to be made too. I saw my dad was way in over his head. Normally my mother would do all of this, but now my dad had to.
"I can help you make everything if you want? Maybe you can keep mom company. I can manage this", I said.
"Thank you, that would be nice", he said. Drops of sweat were already forming on his head. I knew he could make all of it, but it would take him a lot more effort than it would for me.
So, I sent my dad away, closed the kitchen door and started with the pakora's.
While I was busy with all the cooking my brother came home. He stuck his head around the corner of the door and smiled.
"He, sis nice seeing you in the kitchen again."
He then opened the door and walked in, he slid his slim body down on a chair and started to fumble with the stuff that was displayed on the table.
"Dad asked me to help, so I thought it was better to send him away and let me do all the cooking", I said laughing.
Julian laughed too and said; "Dad is not bad in the kitchen, but you should see him struggle sometimes", he shook his head.
"You know, come to think of it, maybe I can cook a few meals, you know so you guys will have something for the next few days."
"Yeah, that'd be nice. Or you know, you could stay for awhile and help us out", he said. His eyes were pointed on the onion bhaji.
While I wiped my hands on my mother's apron I turned around.
"You know I can't. I have work." I crossed my arms.
"You mean you have Max", he shot at me.
Just when I wanted to answer him my phone started to ring.
I walked from the kitchen to the living room where I left my purse.
It was Max. How ironic.
I took my phone and let it ring until it went to voicemail, then I walked to the kitchen while texting Max I'd call him back later.
"It was Max, wasn't it?", Julian asked suspiciously.
I put my phone on the table he was sitting at and took a seat.
"Yes, it was Max."
"I knew it."
"Julian, it is none of your business who I date with."
"You know dad doesn't approve of him, right?", he said, picking what was left of his thumb nail. He always bites his nails, such a nasty habit.
"I know, but it's not his business either."
"What do you think everyone will say if they find out you are with some white man? Have you even spoken to auntie Canada?"
When we were little we found the name of our aunt (Chandrakant) too difficult to say, so we made her auntie Canada.
"No I haven't, but we don't live in the 1900's anymore, Julian. I am not planning to marry and stay at home, cook dinner, do the dishes and only speak when my husband thinks I should speak."
"You're exaggerating now and you know it. Do you think I would treat my wife like that, if I would get married?", his voice sounded very annoyed.
"Maybe, but I grew up here, like you. I mean, mom and dad didn't go all the way here to keep living the life they had in India. They wanted better for us, heck they even gave you a western name! I am not going to let myself be treated like I am nothing more than just a cleaning maid and I don't care if our family disagrees with that. Times are changing."
I could always get so mad at the old fashioned way girls were being treated in the Indian community. We are worth something and we can be someone other than a maid to our husbands. If they even want to get married.
"I might not even marry Max", I snorted.
"Like Max does his own cooking and cleaning."
"FYI no he doesn't. He has enough money to pay people to do it."
"So you're with him for his money?", he said, provoking me.
His eyes were looking at me in a mocking way. Leaning back in his chair, feet on the floor, legs spread and his arms leaning on his knees, he kept looking at me, waiting for a reaction.
"Let's stop this. I am here for mom and to help out dad. Maybe you could help too."
I turned around and went along to prepare our traditional food. Julian then stood up and took place next to me.
"How are you kids doing in here?", my dad stuck his head around the corner.
"Fine dad. You know, if you are okay with it, I wanted to prepare some more meals for you all for the next few days."
My dad now came walking into the kitchen.
"That would be lovely Mira. If it's not too much trouble."
He had a look of relief on his face. He was probably more than happy that he wouldn't have to twist and turn to get this done. Besides, he could cook but he wasn't very good at it. The way he was brought up it just wasn't normal for a man to do all the cooking, but all the times my mom was ill he was forced to learn. I actually always believed it was a good thing, plus I liked to see my father cook when I was little.
"Let me ask mom if I need to go to the store to get some stuff."
Again I wiped my hands on my apron and stepped into the living room. My mother was watching some old Bollywood movie.
"Mom, do we still have barja and atta?", I asked her.
"No, I think you have to go to the store. Maybe you can get some more flour for the naan", she said. She also asked for manjal and some other typical ingredients and herbs that were used in the Indian kitchen.
"Dad, can you and Julian finish this up so I can get the ingredients mom asked for?" I said putting down my apron. After I washed my hands I grabbed my phone and put it into my pocket.
I awaited for them to answer as I stood in the door opening.
"Yeah sure, us men will stay in the kitchen", Julian mocked.
My dad gave him a look and even though Julian was way taller than our dad, he didn't say a word anymore. He just got back to what he was doing.
"Yes, thank you Mira for your help."
I walked away to the living room to get my coat and purse, but as I opened it up to grab my car keys I realized that Max dropped me off.
"Dad, can I borrow your car?", I yelled.
He told me it was fine and to grab the keys that were in the hallway.
Just before I drove back I decided to call Max.