uno

Back to school pep rallies were a blessing in disguise. It not only cut out over an hour of class time, but it got everyone hyped up, which is probably needed since some people were still trying to fix their sleep schedules. With the exception of the fall athletes that have been waking up early since mid-July, of course.

The pep rally just started, so after giving the announcements and welcoming everyone, all of the fall sports were introduced. "And everyone's favorite! The undefeated, 3 time, in a row, state champions! Everyone give it up for your Lady Eagles, the varsity volleyball team!"

The school was very overdramatic, and the volleyball team was like their pride and joy, so the gym was filled with loud music as the girls and coaches ran in through the double doors.  As if their undefeated and championship streak wasn't emphasized enough, they came out carrying their most recent trophy.  Mariposa and the team captain set it down in the middle of the gym as a statement, and the teamed stood to the side of it, letting it shine while the coach was given the microphone to say a few words.

"Um, I didn't know I'd be giving a speech this year, but good morning Eagles!  I'm coach Hanes, but the girls usually just call me Cami.  The announcers kind of said everything, but we've been state champions for the past 3 years, and we've been undefeated for 5.  The girls have been working hard, so we're hoping to bring back another championship this year.  That's all I really had to say, so I wish all of you a good year! Go Eagles!"

× × ×

At lunch, Mariposa went to her locker to grab her lunch and then went over to her lunch table.  JJ was sitting on top of it with his feet on the seat.  As a teenager in love does, she smiled and started skipping to him before wrapping her arms around his neck.  "Hola, amor.  I missed you."  She smiled.  The nanosecond that she stops talking, JJ had leaned in to grab her face and kiss her.

"Do you guys have to do that in front of our food?"  The two pulled away to look at Asher, and looked just in time to see Layla slap his leg.  Out of spite, Mariposa placed one more overdramatic and obnoxiously loud kiss to JJ's lips before pulling away and sitting in between his knees with her back facing him.  "How did you miss each other if you were sitting next to one another two periods ago?"

"Bro, two hours is a long time." JJ stated, and Mariposa just nodded in agreement. "Oh, I missed you too." He leaned down and whispered in her ear before placing a single kiss on her neck and going back to eating.

The group quickly fell back into conversations about what they did over the summer, as if they weren't snap chatting each other everyday. As usual, Mariposa and her family went to Mexico to visit family for a month. By the time she got back, volleyball tryouts were two weeks away, so most of the time was spent watching TV or at the beach with her siblings or with JJ or with everyone.

"I mean, I know we've lost a lot of games, but I feel like this could be our year. Plus we have a lot of new talent, and we're gonna be the ones scouts are looking at this year." Asher said optimistically. "I mean, we won't be like a little miss 3-time-state-champ, but we won't have our asses handed to us like last year. And what are you eating because it's been up my nose for the past 10 minutes?"

Everyone turned to Mariposa, aside from JJ who's been staring at her the whole time, because they too have been smelling her lunch. "We made tamales last night." She shrugged. "And you guys would know that if you came over when I invited you."

"Guys, I had like 12 last night, and I think Liv ate like 6." JJ boasted. "You missed out, just saying."

"Hey, you never said your mom making tamales." Jordan defended, pronouncing tamales without the little accent. "And Liv never brought any."