diecisiete

At practice the next day, JJ was telling everybody about the new food he tried for dinner at Mariposa's house

At practice the next day, JJ was telling everybody about the new food he tried for dinner at Mariposa's house.  Jordan was one of the only guys on the team that knew what he was talking about, since he's been going to her house since he was five, but JJ was talking about it so much that he was making the team hungry and agitated, so he stopped.  Mariposa was sitting by the water table again doing her homework, and Reina was with her sitting on a blanket like she was having a picnic at a park. 

All week, people have been talking about Spencer James's 17th birthday party-not-party.  It was in the middle of the week, so it was going to be after school and apparently not that many people were going. However, being a close friend of hers and her boyfriend being one of Spencer's closest friends at Beverly, she was invited. Since it was at the Baker house, she assumed her parents were probably going to come as well.

JJ was outside in the backyard playing Jenga by the pool, but Mariposa wanted to eat so she made him leave her in the living room with Spencer and Coop

JJ was outside in the backyard playing Jenga by the pool, but Mariposa wanted to eat so she made him leave her in the living room with Spencer and Coop.  "Damn girl.  You were walking the last time I saw you."

"Yeah, I got in a little car accident."

"It was not little. She was paralyzed for like two hours." Spencer told Coop. "Do you need a table?"

Mariposa had her plate of food sitting in her lap, and because of the stitches Spencer knew about on her leg, he wasn't sure if it should've been there. "I'm good, it's not that heavy and it's not sitting on the stitches." She shrugged, with the one shoulder that she could move, and Spencer took it.

"Paralyzed?  And you still look like that?  Life ain't fair, I'm telling you, bro."  Coop told Spencer not so quietly, making Mariposa giggle to herself and thank her.

Before the three could have any more conversation, Casimiro ran over and stood to the left of Mariposa's chair.  "Mamá preguntó si tú quieres helado."

"Qué tipo?"

Casimiro shrugged in exasperation and threw his arms up.  "No sé, ella me empujó por aquí."