treinta

Spencer was a really easy person to talk to. Not only was he really nice, but he's extremely understanding. Probably because he's been through a lot, so he understands what it's like to struggle, but after his talk with Mariposa, she had calmed down significantly. However, even though she was no longer thinking JJ was cheating on her, she was still confused why he had been ignoring her. He would still answer her texts, but they were usually short and not his usual long messages. Despite having multiple classes together, the two barely talked and as much as she wanted to believe Spencer that JJ was probably planning a surprise date, she couldn't bring herself to get over it.

Olivia telling her about the pills she found in her closet in the morning took her mind off of it for a while, texting her in between classes and making sure she was still okay, but after school, Mariposa went to the locker rooms and waited for JJ to finish changing.  Once a bunch of the players started walking out, Mariposa sat up and prepared herself for JJ walking out with his own uniform.

"Ew why are you here?" Jordan walked out, fully dressed in his practice gear and stopped mid-conversation with Asher just to look at Mariposa sitting by the doors.

"I don't know why you're saying ew, you're the one that smells like Fritos dipped in ranch."  Mariposa retorted back.  "I'm waiting for JJ."

Jordan wasn't able to say anything after that because JJ walked out of the locker room. "Don't make him late, Zavala."

"Shut up, Frito man."  On the side, Asher laughed at her nickname for him and Jordan lightly punched her shoulder before continuing to walk to the field. The two were alone in the hallway now, but there were still players coming out of the locker room to walk to the field so they didn't have complete privacy. "So how've you been?"

For just a moment, JJ furrowed his eyebrows down at his girlfriend and stared at her in confusion. "You waited out here just ask me how I've been?"

"No, but we have an exactly had a full conversation in a couple of days so I thought I'd be a good way to start it. Now, I'd like to know why you've been avoiding me. Did I do something?"

With the guys just flowing out of the locker room every few seconds, the power couple didn't have much privacy so JJ took her out into the hall and off to the side, the opposite direction of the football field. "No, you didn't do anything. I was just taking time for myself and spending time with my parents." JJ answered, and by the look on her face, he knew Mariposa I didn't buy what he was saying.

They've been together for over a year and pretty much lived with each other at one point, plus his parents have been asking about her for days. "No, actually—" JJ let out a deep sigh and looked around the empty hallway cautiously before gently grabbing Mariposa's face, something she automatically leaned into and felt comfort from. The action alone gave her less anxiety and stress. "I am completely and utterly in love with you." JJ stated, making Mariposa beam up at him with a wide smile and bright eyes, only making his heart flutter, but his point harder. "Which is why I think we should break up."

It took less than a second for the smile on Mariposa's face to vanish and another second for her to push his hands away from her face, now etched in confusion. "Excuse me?"

How JJ got from being in love to wanting to break up was beyond her, and before anything, Mariposa wanted an explanation. "Posi, we are—"

"Don't call me that, not if you're ending our relationship."

"We are so close to the playoff games and this is the first time I'm ever going to them. There's a lot riding on my back and all of these college scouts are coming to watch us. If we do good, this could be my shot to getting a chance to play professionally." He explained, which in turn, did not alleviate any of the anger Mariposa was feeling.

"Let me get this straight. You're breaking up with me because I'm a distraction to you? You're choosing football over our relationship. What happened to me being your good luck charm at every football game I ever went to?"

By now, Mariposa had tears running down her cheeks, and she was currently thankful for setting spray and waterproof mascara. At the sight of her crying because of him, JJ was starting to feel bad, but he was already in too deep to take anything back and this has been weighing on his shoulders for weeks. "You still are. Babe, I love you so much, but I'm doing this for my future. And whether we win the championship or not, we can get back together when it's all over."

Mariposa looked up at him in bewilderment, still not fully registering that for the past year and a half, she has spent every second loving him and supporting him, only for their relationship to end for something not even related to her. "No."

"No?"

"I'm not waiting for you. If you can break up with me for a fucking football game, you can break up with me for anything. I'm not gonna wait around for you, hoping you change your mind and love me more than you love football. And the fact that you called football your future but not me?"

"Babe, I do love you more than I love football."

"Really? Because who's getting dumped right now?" Mariposa asked him, her tears somewhat slowing down but that may have been because she already ran out. She was going through a very stressful time. "If you're breaking up with me for football, don't expect us to get back together when you decide you want to."

The hallway was silent and at his hesitation, Mariposa was beginning to think that he was changing his mind. However, the fact that he even considered it really got her thinking. He was willing to throw away the relationship for a sport, an overrated one in her opinion, and she was realizing that it has always been that way. She always came second, just never realized it.

JJ sighed, barely taking notice to help people stop coming out of the locker room, meaning that it was probably empty. "Then I guess we're done."

lol ima update again later bc there's another part in this scene but i didnt wanna completed switch up the vibe

bye

VOTE AND COMMENT FOR NEXT CHAPTER ‼️🪦