Chapter 36: Nevermore

Y/N glares into the mirror, waiting for the red eyes to begin to fade into view in the reflection. As they fade into view, he prepares himself for the jump of the portal into the land that is Nevermore.

The God feels himself get dragged into the mirror, closing his eyes. He felt himself collide with hard rocky ground, peeling open his eyes to find the familiar blood-red sky.

He rises up to his feet, taking in his surroundings. The floating rock platforms span out as far as the eye could see, the same thing said about the aura of the atmosphere.

Y/N: (Sarcastically) Oh, Nevermore. How I've missed you.

He takes a deep breath in through his nose, letting it out through his mouth. He proceeds to turn around and follow the path of floating rocks when someone in front of him makes him jump out of his skin.

Y/N: AHHH!!! Timid?

Timid: s-sorry, I scared you y/n.

Y/N: Don't apologize Timid. I've just been... off my game the last few months.

Timid: why did you come back?

Y/N: You know what happened earlier right?

Timid shyly nods.

Y/N: (Sighs) Yeah, well... I need to see the others.

Timid once again before walking down the path leading to where the emoticlones gather.

Y/N: I assume things haven't been so smooth here at Nevermore.

Timid continues to stare ahead of her, not saying a word.

Y/N: Listen, I know. It's all been happening to me as well. Every single day since I last came here, I've been feeling stressed and fearful. There's never been a single day when I don't feel that way. I try not to show it to the other Titans, but sometimes I just can't help it.

Timid: you really don't go a single day without feeling happy?

Y/N: I can't really anymore. You guys may not understand why, and I can't really tell you. But if you knew the burden I have to bear, you'd be scared with me.

Timid: what do you mean burden?

Y/N: Like I said, it's not like I can explain. But I haven't had a burden like this since 2000 years ago when-

Y/N suddenly stops in his tracks, cutting himself off from his own sentence. He holds his head in his hands, almost breaking into a panic attack before Timid speaks up.

Timid: are you okay?

Y/N: (Shivering) Yep. I'm alright.

He removes his hand from his head and opens his eyes, revealing them to be bloodshot.

Y/N: Just... don't ask me about that again. I don't like thinking about it.

Timid turns back around in the direction of the path and continues to lead the way. After another minute, a huge familiar stone wall shoots up from the ground beneath. Several more stone walls follow, eventually forming the huge maze.

Y/N: (Grunts) Great.

Timid: sorry, it's... just something that gets triggered automatically.

Y/N: It's alright. Just lead the way and get us out of here.

Timid continues to stroll through the maze, still staring down at the floor.

Jump to Ų̷̱̼̬͑ñ̴͇̾̚k̸̡͚̪͔͌̃̓ṇ̴͓͌ò̶̧̺̟w̶͉͌́̾ņ̷̛͔̞̮ ̷̧̝͍͎̃L̶̝͖͔̿͝o̸̖͚̜͖̎ḉ̵̞a̷̞̫͖̚ͅt̷͍̱͌̀͗͗ị̶̧͑͝ō̴͇̟͠͠n̴̠̪͈̖͆̊͒̚