chapter 7

later that night

"Goodnight Soda!" I said as I hugged him from behind his chair at the dinner table. His bigger hands squeezed mine before he let go.

"Goodnight Racey." He said. I waved my hand goodnight to Darry and headed to Pony and I's room. We still were not on the best of terms from our fight earlier, but I wasn't going to say sorry till he did. He clearly did most of the yelling, therefor, why should I say sorry?

I grabbed Soda's old t-shirt and my own shorts and headed to the bathroom to change. After I did, I brushed my teeth, used the bathroom, washed up, I headed right to bed. Last night was a lot, so I knew I needed a break from sneaking out, at least for a few days. Plus I really wanted to talk to Ponyboy about what Johnny had said at the lot earlier. Maybe he knew what he had meant or what he was going to say.

I sat on the bed next to Pony, not getting into the covers just yet. He kept his face in his book while I played with the sheets between my fingers, debating if I should tell him or not. I knew I could trust him, I just didn't know what he would say. Before I could say anything, he seemed to have noticed the way I couldn't stop fidgeting with the sheets.

"Are you okay?" He finally asked, folding the page of his book down before closing the whole thing.

"Yeah I'm fine," I answered somewhat honestly. "Theres just something on my mind."

"You know I'm here." He said gently, trying to make eye contact with me, but I kept my eyes glued to the bed.

"Well earlier when I went to talk to Johnny, he was being all weird and he kept asking me all these questions about why I went to Bucks and what I was doing there."

"What were you doing there, you never really said." Pony asked. Oh right, I should probably explain that first.

"Just drinking and," I paused. How do you say kissing a soc without sounding stupid? "Talking to some boys."

"Kissing but continue." He corrected me giggling. I rolled my eyes at him, but I was glad he understood.

"Anyway, when I told Johnny that, or should I say when Dally told Johnny that, he seemed all awkward. Then when I asked why he cared so much he said, 'Well I thought, Oh never mind' and its been on my mind all day. Never mind what?" I said scratching my head. It honestly made no sense to me at all. Boys call girls confusing, but how am I supposed to understand this mess.

Pony laughed at me at first, shaking his head. An honest laugh. What was so funny? I glared at him deeply, waiting for an answer, to which he soon gave me.

"Really Race?" He said with a surprised expression on his face. "Remember when I liked that girl from school, she came over once?"

"Oh yeah Gabby! You were so nervous, you could barley talk to her!" I giggled. Pony's face flattened and he looked at me like I was real stupid. "You're off topic Ponyboy, what do you think Johnny meant?"

He didn't answer back, he only looked me with that same smirk. Then it hit me.

"No no no." I said shaking my head. "Johnny's not being weird because he likes me. He just see's me as a friend, you know that."

"Keep telling yourself that Race, but it's almost as obvious as you liking him." Pony giggled before pushing my backward, sending me falling. "You're just too stupid to see it."

I rolled my eyes at him as I got back up. How could Johnny like me? Wouldn't I have figured it out by now?

I knew he didn't and he never would, but then I thought again.