The Shift

Jaceth P.O.V.

After a nice dinner with Mrs. Black, which seemed to have lasted forever after she interrupted our little umm- moment (Grey was about to kiss me); we had to leave for the shift

Tytus was practically crying after I had to pull away when we were called to dinner. We also told her about Ella and how we'll talk to her tomorrow. This reminds me that I have to tell my mom about our little situation here, although I'm pretty sure that Dad already saved me the trouble.

We said our goodbyes and Grey and I headed towards the forest clearing, where all those experiencing the first shift would gather with their mates, shift, and go for their first run. Grey and I would be heading the run since we were the highest ranked, we also would have the strongest wolves.

"So you ready shorty?" asked Grey, nudging his elbow into my stomach playfully.

"I'm 6 feet tall Grey, just cause you're a couple of inches tall doesn't mean you get to call me "shorty " "I spat back, he'd been bullying me incessantly about it since his growth spurt, I caught on slowly.

He let out a light chuckle and said, "Sure, shorty", earning a small smile from me.

Once again my hand found his and he brought my hand to his lips, leaving a gentle peck. This caused my cheeks to get red twice in the same day, and I turned my head around to prevent his lingering gaze.

We walked the now moon-lit path to the clearing, we'd automatically shift when the moon would peek.

"Tytus is really jumping right now in my head, impatient to meet your wolf", I began.

"Yep, so is Victor, he's excited to meet Tytus", he replied as we reached the clearing.

Almost all the others were already present there, and the mates were clinging to each other; they all went silent out of respect for us. Grey nodded once and the chatter continued, some were looking at us, astonished to see their Alpha and Beta holding hands, probably not out of judgment, but off curiosity.

We'd announce that we were mates officially soon, but till then they'd just have to spectate till then. 

Suddenly, I felt Tytus push to the forefront of my mind, claiming control over me; it was time for the shift. I felt this burning pain surge through me and I felt like all my bones were breaking at once. The pain was too much for me to handle, I fell to my knees, which was followed by the sounds of the screams of everyone else shifting, feeling the same pain as me and crashing onto the ground. 

My body was on fire, too much to let me think clearly and I was writhing on the ground; but still, I turned to see Grey, still standing, but his face twisted with pain and his fists clenched. Grey was looking at me with concern but probably was in too much pain to heed to me, he probably felt like breaking down too, but he couldn't do that after what happened. The pained look on his face forced tears to my eyes, threatening to spill out, but I couldn't cry in front of the pack; but it still hurt my heart.

Bones protruded out of my body, shifting into a wolf-like figure and I heard the sound of my clothes being ripped, I screamed at the sudden sting and still looked at Grey with tear-filled eyes. He had bent over and he was shifting faster than I was, fur starting to grow over him. Another wave of pain forced me to fall to my side and hold onto myself.

After what feels like a lifetime my clothes shredded completely, the pain subsided meaning that the transformation was about to complete and I could feel fur growing; then I felt a wolf nudge at my belly to comfort me, I didn't even have to take in his scent to know that it was Greyson's wolf, the tingles flowing through my body upon contact were enough to confirm it.