Breaking Sanity

I look in the mirror and wonder, when did this happen to me. I had stared at what I had become for over an hour now. These dramatic changes to my body and mental state, all of it began a year ago when my sister was taken...by It.

***

It was a cold December night, I was 17, and my parents left me with my sister at her apartment so they could go to some Christmas adult party. Everything was going fine, my sister and I stayed up watching horror movies, which now that I look back was pretty ironic. After a while I was getting bored and started messing with my hair. "Will you just cut your damn hair already, Tony? A guy's hair is not meant to be that long anyway!" "Screw you, Tammy! It's my hair; I'll do what I want!" She never did like the fact that I grew out my hair freshman year. She always told me to cut it; she thought because she was two years older than me, she could tell me what to do. I never held it against her though; she is my sister after all...or was. We stayed up until midnight, and that is when the end began for me.

At midnight the power went out in the middle of watching the original Evil Dead. At first we weren't that freaked out about it. Then one of the neighbors' dogs, who never shuts up, suddenly stopped barking, followed by a whimper. At this point we were becoming concerned, and trying not to let our paranoia get the better of us. After several moments of dead silence we hear a racket from the kitchen, it makes us both jump. Of course it's her stupid cat, Mittens. We awkwardly chuckled about it, then we heard a scream from down the hall, which makes the hairs on our necks stand up, because it didn't sound human. Then the lights started flickering on and off, becoming more rapid and rapid. Then the flickering became violent, and we heard whispers; I couldn't make out what they were saying, but it felt like they were looking for something, or someone.

We both started to panic, so we backed up into a corner, as far away from the door as we could. Then there came this...this sound, a ringing that just started to drill through my head. I held my ears trying to shut it out, but it didn't help at all; it was like it was coming from the inside of my own head.

Then finally, we see an ominous shadow come from beneath the door, with the ringing noise seemingly getting louder. I did my best to hold in my searing pain, but it seemed like it was going to get the best of me. Before I could find out, my sister was the first to crack as she let out a piercing scream. As she did so, the door flew off its hinges to reveal a man, a tall, thin man who seemed to be in front of a blinding light.

As we stared at this man, the ringing stopped, it was dead silent. As I looked at him, I could only see that his face was pale as the moon, the ringing was so aggravating it blurred my vision, and that light was so bright. Yet when we saw this man, he looked more like an entity, there was no way it was human. As it stood there in the doorway, staring at us, we were caught in awe. My sister stood up and moved towards the figure. I tried to reach to grab her, but I was in too much shock to move. The figure seemed to slide toward my sister with its arms outstretched, with the intent to embrace her. I'll never forget what happened next at that moment.

One moment she was there, standing in front of the tall man, then came a flash of light...and she was gone...but it was still there. It stared at me as I was curled in fear in the corner from what I had witnessed. My vision cleared and I saw this thing had no...no face; no eyes, no mouth, no nose, nothing. After a short while I began to hear whispers again, and I knew where they were coming from, this creature. It continued to 'stare' at me. As I looked back into its face, the ringing started coming back, but also something else; a feeling and this feeling enraged me.

Finally I could take it no longer, "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH HER?!" I screamed at it. "WHERE IS SHE?!?" but to no avail, it continued to just 'stare' as if it were intrigued by me. As it continued to do so, a terrible feeling was growing into my chest. It was becoming unbearable, "GIVE HER BACK TO ME!" I commanded it, but it continued to 'stare.' All the while the feeling continued growing in my chest, the ringing getting louder, the lights began flickering again, whispers growing faster. I could not stand it anymore; I picked up a fallen lamp and threw it at the tall, thin man, an action I wish I could take back. As the lamp made contact with him, he immediately dissipated away, which seemed to have made all the lights in the room, and out in the hall short circuit. The ringing in my ears blew up, causing me to pass out.