Deals

I first made a deal with the Devil whilst walking home from school. He looked nothing like how I expected. No fangs, horns or scary flames. He looked like any other hobo that had grown tired of wandering aimlessly, and had Chosen to settle on a bench. He was dirty and hairy and smelled foul. But his teeth betrayed him. They were so white and sparkled like diamonds.

I was crying because the school bullies had beaten me up and stolen my phone. He asked me if I wanted them to die, that he could kill them in return for a piece of my soul. I agreed and we went our separate ways. The bullies all died in various painful accidents over the next week. Strange though, I didn't feel sad but it was like I couldn't feel happy about it.

We met again after my wife cheated on me. He said that for another piece of my soul he could kill her. The deal was made and she died in a house fire. After that I never married again. It wasn't that I was too upset. It was like I couldn't feel it after that.

Years passed and many more deals were made. I stopped loving, crying, laughing. I was purged of fear and of guilt. Bit by bit my humanity was stolen.

It was the last deal though that was the big mistake. I wanted to keep living, I refused to accept my mortality. In return for my mother and the last piece of my soul I was granted longevity.

Decades passed. I grew a beard and my clothes became ragged. I am so tired but unable to sleep. He stole that. I just sit on this bench and wait for more souls. Hopefully if I take someone else's soul I will regain my humanity and die...