Colorado Fishing Trip

Our trip started in late February as my three friends; John, Steve, Max, and I drove my truck deep into the backwoods of Boxwood Gulch, to follow the North Fork of the South Platte River. Steve owned a cabin up in the backcountry, so we left my truck there and began our 57 mile hike into the wooded terrain following the river.

We had all of our camping and fishing gear packed, and enough food hopefully lasted us the 3 day journey both ways. The prespawn bass wouldn't be an easy catch once we reached the hole, but if we were going to endure this brutal cold. We wouldn't go home without a fight. As we first set out in the early morning, a few light snowflakes began to fall. The terrain was heavily wooded, and uneven making for slow going, but the cold mountain air rustled through the trees. Sunlight streamed through the canopy, making the snowflakes glint and shimmer as birds chirped overhead. It was going to be a near perfect trip.

We stopped for a quick rest a few hours in. The weather had been slowly worsening since we had left, but it was only then that we realized how bad it had really gotten. The snow was whipping around us in a blinding flurry as the wind howled. The crooked, mangled trees creaked and swayed violently, almost threatening to snap in two. The ground had already accumulated a good 6 inches of snow.

It was about midday, but the sky was black.

And I don't mean dark due to the ever intensifying storm; I mean that in between the gaps in the clouds. There was no blue, just solid black.

None of us really meant a note of it at the time, as it was hard to notice through the thick cascade of snow and the limited visibility. After continuing our hike for some time; however, it became all too apparent that something was wrong.

In addition to the sky, we also realized that there was nothing in the distance.

There should have been some mountains or something like there had been at the start, but no matter which way we turned, the world only seemed to extend fifty or so feet around us. Then it disappeared into the blizzard.

It was nighttime now or at least, it was dark out. My watch however, read 2:00 in the afternoon.

As we walked forward, new things slowly came into view, but everything behind us disappeared, and although we could progress further, we couldn't seem to double back. Once we left something behind us, we couldn't reach it again. Steve had forgotten his lighter a little while back when we stopped to eat, but when we tried to turn around and go back. We were greeted by a wall of snow and fog impossible to see through.

Our flashlights' beams didn't penetrate the fog; they stopped as they hit it as if it was a physical wall. Tendrils of vapor danced across the indistinct surface, and the grey void behind it seemed to extend into eternity.

Curious, Steve slowly reached out and moved his hand into the fog. First his fingertips disappeared, and then his whole hand vanished into the haze. We all stood in disbelief, looking at the wall which was impossibly tall and extended as far as we could see. There was no real gradient to it. Things didn't fade into the distance, there was a clear line where the wall began, and nothing was visible beyond that point. We were making a note of all this when Steve muttered something.

"What was that?" I asked.

"I..." He stammered, "I can't feel my hand."

He said this slowly, as if realizing it as he said it. Puzzled, he retracted his hand slowly, and then screamed.

His glove was shredded, almost disintegrated, and his hand looked like it had been forced through a wood chipper. Deep gashes revealed white bone underneath, and what fingers were left were stripped clean. We all panicked.