Invoking Aziuth

I lifted my eyes for only a moment. His form was unspeakable. An insidious darkness, a void opened to reality. My body lost all its strength, I fell on the floor, losing my bladder.

"Speak, slave." The demon's voice was sharp, metallic.

I strained to lift my head again, to behold the horrifying shape of Aziuth. My flesh wanted to flee the utter awfulness of the moment. My voice failed me. The demon made a deep, almost purring noise. Like a satisfied lion about to eviscerate his prey.

"O great Aziuth, dread prince of spoiled flesh and broken slaves. Favor me now. Favor me with one request."

"Speak."

I've always admired the Devil. Not so much for all the genocide and misery he's instigated, but because Satan is the original freethinker. It says somewhere in the Bible that Lucifer was once on of God's highest and most beautiful of angels, but one day he decided he'd had enough of serving God and was ready to start taking care of himself. I like that.

I've tried to live out that attitude in my own life. I've blazed my own path and searched out my own knowledge. It's led to some unexpected turns...

Children with No Hearts

In the summer of 2013 I ran across a curious news story out of Rosenberg, Ohio; a small town in the southeast end of the state. In the course of 3 days, four teenage boys were found dead in two separate incidents. The first pair was found dead in a cemetery. The second in the sanctuary of a Methodist church. Both times there was no sign of struggle, distress, or cause of death. Later autopsies, however, revealed missing hearts in each victim. The story ran for about a day before disappearing. As a connoisseur of the bizarre and grotesque stories, I was intrigued, but with no little to go on, I thought little of it.

When later that October, three new cases were reported, my interest peaked. The stories were from across the country: Raleigh, North Carolina; Davenport, Arizona; and New Salem, California, totaling seven victims that fall. In each incident, the victims were teenagers, found in cemeteries or churches, no signs of foul play, but each was missing their heart. Again, the stories ran for about a day or two before being removed.

A little extra digging into the cases (side note: you'd be surprised at how little cybersecurity most police departments utilize), added some details to cases. First, peculiar items were found at each crime scene. At the first two candles and a broken mirror were found. The third, about a pint of spilled feline blood and rose petals. The final two: a broken mirror, five smooth black stones, and broken bird and hamster cages (respectively). Second, the teenagers had reputation for being "weird" and/or "into witchcraft." Third, there was no sign of cutting or removal of the hearts. It was as though they simply had never been there. Fourth, police were utterly baffled as to the identity of the assailant, means, or motive. Authorities, of course, deduced the victims were doing something occult-related but were stumped otherwise.

After my research, the situation became plain to me. These imbeciles had tried to invoke a spirit - and failed.

Infernal Conversation

They weren't the first to have the notion. Honestly, any half-wit with a Ouija board, or even Scrabble tiles, can make contact with spirits. I'm pretty sure there's a Wikipedia article about it. It's not that hard.