How the Girl Almost Stole My Voices

It was a warm summer night. There was a refreshing breeze entering through my bedroom window, blowing away the still humidity and warmth that stuck to my body like a wet blanket. Despite the cooling breeze, it was far too hot to sleep properly.

It was 2:13 AM, I stared at the ceiling as my heat driven insomnia got worse. It's times like these where the incessant voices and chatter of my "characters" became restless. I have developed my various "characters" years ago. I'd like to think of them as my council. Each of them are different and ultimately come from a single source, me. Despite the intimate connections we all share, they are independent from me yet they are ultimately dependent on me. They're a little hard to describe.

I was kind of a crazy introverted little kid. And so I discovered, at a young age, that I can willfully dissociate my thoughts and ideas from myself. And soon, I began to dissociate entire personalities, entire characters. Feeding them and watching them develop within my consciousness. I became them and they became me, influencing me every decision as I influenced them.

I never told anyone about them. They probably think I have schizophrenia, and for a while I thought I did. It was something a bit different, it never detracted from my life; it just made it more interesting. I could never imagine living my life without them, I was a part of them as much as they were a part of me.

The girl was on my mind today. Despite the party going on in my head, I somehow steered my consciousness towards her. It's not the first time we thought of her.

The girl sat in front of me in a few of my classes back in high school. She was slim, tall and pale. She had long dark hair and had these large abyss-like eyes. She wasn't the hottest girl in school or anything like that, but I thought she was really attractive. I can remember sitting behind her just staring at the back of her head, lost in my creepy guy fantasies. Everything about her just intrigued and made me fall for her.

Growing tired of staring at the back of her head; I mustered the courage to ask her on a date. I approached her and the first thing I noticed were her eyes. Two black holes that sucked all light near it, hell it sucked me in too. So, I stared into her eyes and what I saw startled me. A reflection of every one of my characters stared back at me through the abyss. I continued staring, feeling uneasy by what I saw. A sudden twinge of fear gripped me.

And she said "hi" in a sweet and soft spoken voice, and the fear evaporated as quickly as it came. I quickly broke out of my trance-like state and mumbled something along the lines of "go, you, movie, me." She enthusiastically said yes and I was like score!

Going to my next class, I couldn't help but think how I felt when I was looking into her eyes. There's something wrong with her, I thought to myself. Some of them told me that I was overreacting and others agreed with me.

Seriously, we all saw that didn't we. Didn't you see her eyes, wasn't that totally creepy? Your mind was playing tricks on you and you barely stared at her eyes. What on earth do you mean, you are my mind. You saw it; you saw all of us in those eyes. I don't know man; this is what you wanted right? Think about it, it doesn't really make sense that she can see us all. Logically speaking, how can her eyes reflect all of us? You don't even know how we look. We're just you after all. I'm telling, I saw all of you. It was some kind of abstract reflection of all of us, of me. Anyways, it doesn't matter; we can't skimp out on the date now.

***

We watch some random movie. Then we headed out for some pizza. I got to know her a little better. She was extremely nice and such an amazing girl. She made me feel awesome and always laughed at my jokes even if some of them were corny. Despite her bubbly personality, she had a bit of a dark and mysterious side to her. It was totally weird but it just made her so much hotter.