Chapter 8

The news spread of the new hero in town. Images of me covered newspapers, I was even on national television. "Who is this mystery hero, who calls herself Atomic Woman? " stated the reporter as I drinked my coffee. I was being talked about across the entire country. I was becoming a celebrity, well actually Atomic Woman was. Nobody had a clue who I was. I sat there watching TV, as I ate cereal. It was a beautiful Saturday morning. My mother was at work. My Dad was watching the news with me, and my brother was hanging with his friends.

"This is crazy, how could a person have the power to go against three men with a gun like that?! " my dad said in shock.

I shrugged my shoulders. To be honest, I was still shocked that I took them down so easily. I never considered myself the tough type.

"I know its hard to believe " I stated.

He turned off the Tv after watching it for several minutes more. "Well, I have heard enough of the news anyways....I have work in a hour. What are you doing today? " he asked.

I really didn't have any plans today but to relax. Then I thought to myself, maybe I could pay a visit to Dr. Henderson. I really felt bad for the guy, he's had a rough life. He must be so lonely without a family. I wanted to tell him all about how I fought off three thugs, saved 20 hostages, and a bank all by myself! I'm sure he would be excited to know that I am doing good deeds with the power he had given me. My dad stood there looking at me to answer back.

"Not sure.....maybe hang with Tori today." I lied.

"Ok, but dont be out too late." he said as he began walking upstairs to get ready.

I left after he went upstairs. I drove to the hospital and walked up to the reception desk. A receptionist smiled at me.

"Hi, is there anything I can help you with? " she asked.

"Yes, is Dr. Henderson in? I would like to talk with him." I asked.

The receptionist turned to one of the nearby nurses. They whispered something to each other. There was sadness in both their eyes. The receptionist looked back at me.

"I'm sorry but you can't ..."

"Why? Is he busy? I can come back later...."

"No, " she interrupted me. "Dr. Henderson is dead."

"What?!! " I exclaimed.

"Two cops came in here last night, they told us he had been shot. His neighbors found him in his living room dead on the floor....it's so sad. The cops said it must have been a robbery, his house was a mess when they found him. The thieves stole his computer and several other things. He was a victim to random violence."

I stood there, still as a statue. I was in complete shock. I knew that his death was no act of random violence. Did this have something to do with our secret? Poor Dr. Henderson couldn't protect himself. I knew our secret was dangerous, but I never believed he would have got killed for it.

"It cant be....." I said in shock.

"I'm sorry dear, I thought I would tell you. Are you his family? "

"No, I am a friend. I....I cant believe this..." I said.

"Are you ok dear? Do you need anything? " the receptionist asked concerned.

"No..no. I just need to go. Thank you for the information. "

"No problem dear."

I walked out of the hospital and into my car. I sat there for a second inside. How could this have happened? Dr. Henderson was dead. The only person who I could turn to for help with my powers was now dead. He was a good person, he did not deserve to die. I began to feel a cold shiver go down my spine. I was overwhelmed with panic.

Whoever killed him, had enough information to stalk him down and find him. They were looking for something in his house. I'm not quite sure what. They took his computer and several other things, which means they must have been on a desperate search for more information on something. Especially if they murdered him for it. Whoever it was that killed him, is still out there. My heart was beating a hundred miles a minute as I realized that this something they were searching for, might actually be me.