Chapter 29

"Mr. Kent, what happened?" I asked confused.

"You saved our lives.....I had called the cops and they showed up along with some government officials. They found Carmen and you inside. She was dead at the scene. You were pretty close to it." he explained.

"I know, I didnt think I would survive....my powers were gone." I stated.

"Well, one of the officials tried hiding the syringe. They were going to keep it to themselves, but I didnt want you to die so I fought them on it. And....well I said a word that probably should never had been said." he said embarassed.

I was amused. He never was one to fight or use foul language.

"What did you say?" I laughed.

"I cant repeat it! It's not very mature to cuss Genevieve."

"Come on Mr Kent! I wont tell anybody! What is another word for the word you said?" I asked.

"Well.....I um.....I called him a selfish butthole." he said awkwardly and embarrassed.

I laughed really hard.

"You're upset for calling someone a ...butthole?" I laughed.

"I was upset, I was watching you slowly die in front of me. I didnt want you to die!!!" he yelled.

He took my teasing to seriously. I didnt mean to upset him, we always joked around like this.

"Woah...Mr. Kent calm down. I wasn't trying to offend you. I'm sorry if I upset you." I apologized.

"Genevieve, I thought you were dead. When I saw those medics trying to get you to breathe, to try and restart your heart, my heart was breaking. I know we joke around and annoy each other all the time, but you are like a daughter to me....."

I was silent. Mr. Kent saw me as a daughter, I was more than a student.

"How do you think I felt when that crazy lady held a gun to your head. I wasn't gonna just let her kill you and your family..if I wouldn't let my father or family die, I wouldn't let you die." I explained.

He smiled. There was an awkward silence between the two of us. I was unsure of what to say.

"Here...my daughter wanted you to have this. Its her way of thanking you." he said as he handed me a stuffed bunny. He was trying to break the silence.

I smiled. I could see that his daughter must have loved this bunny very much. It was worn down from play. A purple bow tie was wrapped around it's neck. I couldnt take this from that little girl.

I handed it to him. "I cant take this from her...."

"No, she insisted that you take it." he said.

I held it in my arms. "Tell her that Atomic Woman said thanks."

"I will." he said.

There was another knock at the door. Who could be at the door? A dark haired man in a black suit walked in. He had a serious look on his face.

"Can I speak to Miss Gardner." he said in a serious tone. My heart sunk. Was I in trouble? I suddenly began to think of every wrong thing I did in the past few months. I began to panic.

Mr. Kent looked at me, he saw the panic in my face. He gave me a warm smile as if he was trying to tell me I was ok.

"Sure. I was just about to head home anyways. See you at school Genevieve. " he said warmly. He walked out of the room.

"Dont leave me here alone!!!!" I yelled at him in my head.

I turned to see the dark haired man looking at me.

"Hello sir." I said nervously.