Chapter 8 - Enchantment

You move quickly when you know your destination

*

I'm up early but lay in bed with my hands behind my head on the pillow, staring up at the ceiling

I have been hearing noise and movements inside and outside the house, but haven't bothered to check what's going on, as my mind is still going over what I heard last night, and playing over events from three years ago that I now think were suspicious.

Something breaks with a loud bang outside, followed by shouting.

I finally get up and I approach the window to cheek.

A glass table or something, lays shattered on the ground after they attempted to lift it off a truck, a few workers are solemnly surrounding it while the head housekeeper is shouting.

I see Dad and Uncle Lucian approach the scene, quiet the situation and step aside to talk more privately.

Looking at the two men, their closeness and reliance on each other, one thing I can bet is that whatever my father was up to, my uncle is in on it. Whatever weakness or strength my father has, my uncle has it tenfold...though a few years older than my father, my uncle is more spirited and active. Even with more grey hair gracing his head, he somehow manages to appear younger of the two.

Culturally, family means everything to an Italian family, and these two are both very traditional men who believe in putting the affairs of the family ahead of personal gains. Both their marriages were arranged for business purposes, my uncles' ended in a bitter and expensive divorce, with his children, save for his oldest son, Istvan, going to live with their mother after the separation. I believe my father would like to avoid that fate.

The fact that I am no longer considered a Toscano by blood worries me sometimes.... because even though relations have improved since that secret came out, I sometimes worry that fact alone puts me outside the family's protective circle..or worse, makes me a target......my mother's inheritance outweighs theirs, and ultimately will belong to Rhea and myself...I am sure that that is the only reason my uncle still respects and shows care for me.

However, despite our differences, there is some love there...care too, but I have no doubt that neither my father nor uncle would hesitate to manipulate or interfere in my affairs.... they have done it before in the past.

As if sensing my presence, they both look up and see me standing by the window.

They wave.

I wave back.

They give me a brief nod and continue to talk, and I see my father briefly look back at me before continuing to talk again, my uncle looks this way too before folding his hands over his chest and intently engaging with my father.