Chapter 38- This Side of Heaven

When two elephants fight,
The grass suffers.....

- Anonymous

"Marry me." 

These words echo through my mind as I meet Rome's gaze, his touch comforting yet demanding as his palms rest warmly against my cheeks.

My heartbeat races, its rhythm intensifying as if striving to match the excitement coursing through me. With each breath, anticipation builds, and my chest feels like it's hosting a gymnastics performance.

Rome's expression grows even more earnest, a nervous swallow betraying his emotions before he gently readjusts his grip on my face.

"I'm serious, Sienna... Marry me...let's do this as a family." he repeats, his voice trailing off slightly, yet leaving no room for doubt in my mind.

I open my mouth, but before I can respond, the door abruptly swings open, startling us both as Dr. Logan reenters the room.

Rome's chest rises with a deep breath, but he silences any potential response by placing a finger gently against my lips, his smile reassuring...we will continue this later.

With a subtle shift, Rome's hand moves from my face to my upper arms, guiding me back to the ground.

I glance up to see Dr. Logan trying to keep herself busy and not look in our direction way.

"Go change...I'll wait here." Rome murmurs, stepping back from me.

I make my way to the changing room, the sound of their voices mingling in conversation behind me as I close the door.

*

Leaning casually against the elevator wall amidst a two other passengers, a smirk plays across Rome's across as his attention focuses on his phone screen.

"What's so amusing?" I ask, as curiosity piques my interest.

He chuckles softly, amusement evident in his eyes. "Someone's shared a picture of you.." he pauses. "....of us in this work group chat that I am in." he explains, glancing down to meet my gaze.

"The general consensus is that you're quite stunning." he adds, placing emphasis on the word 'stunning'.

Puzzled, I furrow my brow. "What?"

"One of my colleagues snapped a picture of us strolling down the corridor earlier." he reveals, turning the phone towards me so I can see for myself.

Peering at the screen, I notice the chat's ironic title. 'The Group Chat', earning a slight scowl from me. 

"'The Group Chat?' how original," I remark dryly and he scoffs.

"Just look at the damn picture." Rome urges, redirecting my attention.