Chapter 40 - Chink In My Amour

Furrowing my brow, I scrutinize the document before me and scratch the back of my head.

Recollections of last night's conversation with Sienna about the prenup surface0s, reminding me that she mentioned discussing it with Mom. Regrettably, in the heat of passion, that discussion remained unfinished.

The last time I laid eyes on this document, it was a digital file, after the lawyer sent me the finalized version, incorporating my revisions, I hadn't had the chance to go over it with Sienna. Yet, here it is, in physical form, already bearing her signature.

I retrieve my phone from my pocket and dial Mom's number. After a few rings, she answers, her voice a mix of surprise and curiosity.

"A morning call from you-should I be happy or concerned?" she quips, her tone cheerful.

"Jesus, mom..." I groan, pausing to still myself.

"Ah, is this about the prenuptial document?......" she interrupts, perceptive as ever.

"Sienna said she would discuss it with you last night." she adds, and her acknowledgment of the matter causes my jaw to tighten with tension.

"Now, before you say anything, I..." she begins but I interrupt her.

"I just can't for the life of me..understand why you would handle this behind my back." I seethe.

"Now, hold on a second, it's not like that." she responds.

"I didn't coerce her into anything; it was her decision. Remember last week when you were upset after she saw it? I called her to explain why I brought it up with you. A few days later, she called me back and expressed her desire to proceed. We met for lunch at her new job, and..." she trails off as I struggle to contain my growing frustration.

"She thought..." she tries to continue.

"Sienna's perspective aside, it wasn't your place to conclude this issue with her mom." I interject, frustration now directed at both my mother and Sienna.

"Listen, honey, she knows you had reservations about this and didn't want you to feel guilty about asking her to do it... Please, don't be upset with her. But I get it, it should have been left between the two of you and I shouldn't have been involved, and I'm sorry... But honey....we were just...hello? Are you still there?"

"Rome?" mom pleads, desperation creeping into her voice.

"I'm listening." I grind out through clenched teeth.

""Have you spoken to her? What did she say? she said she would discuss it with you and just ...."

"This isn't just some light paperwork signing; she needed her own legal counsel before appending her signature anyway, How do I know she wasn't coerced?" I remind her sharply.

"She did." she counters.

The thought of Sienna seeking legal advice without my guidance sends a pang of unease through me. The only lawyer I can imagine her having access to is Angelo... the very realization twisting my stomach.

While I value Angelo's support like a big brother, which he has been in so many ways, certain aspects of my life I want to remain private. Just as I'm not privy to all of his personal affairs.

I frown, now thoroughly annoyed.

"I have to go," I declare, cutting her off before she can say anything else.

"Honey, please don't be upset with me." she asks, but I don't want to hear it.

"I'll talk to you later. And by the way, tell Rogers that he's fired for professional misconduct. He will no longer represent me legally in any capacity." I blurt out before ending the call.