Chapter 23 - Rome

Rome wasn't built in a day

*

Before we can sit down, Richard comes back around again, rushing towards us much like he did when Vincent showed up

"Dr. Toscano, what a surprise." he says with a tight smile on his face...he looks really stressed out.

"Richard, I already told you to call me Roman." Rome responds while wrapping his arm around my shoulders and drawing my body closer to his side. His fingers make a massaging gesture on my shoulder that helps me to feel relaxed.

"Your father was just here and..."

"Yes, I know.." Rome cuts him off and the man turns even more pale.

"Umm.." he glances at me fleetingly before looking around the room briefly.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" he asks, clasping his hands together.

"No...nothing right now, thanks." He responds with a tap of his hand on his shoulder and the news seems to create a wide smile on his Richards face.

I realise he probably thought he would have to empty the shop again, which now that I think of it, I don't remember Vincent verbally asking him to do, but somehow it got magically done by the time I had noticed..I guess that reveals a lot about the way Vincent operates.

"Let me know if you need anything." He says happily, before leaving quickly.

Roman waits until I'm settled before occupying his own seat opposite me.

"He is scared of you." I tell him.

"Not me, my father."

"Even you." I correct, recalling the fearful look he gave Roman.

He runs his fingers through his hair, appearing to be occupied with other more pressing thoughts, before reaching for my hands across the table and covering them with his.

He looks at me with a quizzical gaze and I give him time to assess me.

'I'm fine baby' I want to say, but give him chance to see it for himself.

I give him what I hope is a reassuring smile and interlock our fingers.

"I feel like I don't know you very well after all." I say, speaking before he does.

His eyebrow shoots up.

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, for starters, your family owns this place?" I gesture to the cafe and he frowns.

"So?"

"Was that a secret or something?"

"I didn't think it was something worth mentioning before. We own a few other things too. You already know that I come from money Sienna, and not just from Alessio's side." He explains.