Chapter 39 - Secret Engagement

"Can I come in?" Rome's voice carries a softness as he stands at the doorway

In response, I take a step backwards into the apartment.

He mirrors my movement, gradually advancing, one hand trailing to gently close the door behind him, while the other reaches out to affectionately pat Bear and Beta who come forward to greet him.

As I step into the living room, a profound quiet envelops me-a stark contrast to the usual ambiance of Rome's home. While his house can also be tranquil, there's typically a faint hum of life lingering in the background...the subtle beep of security mechanisms or locks, or the distant whirr of electrical appliances. But here, in the stillness of this late hour, not a single sound breaks the silence, I can hear my own heart beating.

I turn around and cross my arms over my chest protectively, only to uncross them a few seconds later.

"Alright boys..go to sleep." Rome instructs Bear and Beta, who trot back into my room, where they had found refuge.

A weight settles in the air, causing me to shift uneasily as he leans against the wall, his gaze fixed upon me.

I must appear disheveled, likely sporting red-rimmed eyes, unruly hair cascading over one shoulder.

"Did I wake you?" he asks.

Clearly.

"I was going to leave if you didn't picked up on the second ring... I didn't want to wake you up." He adds before I can respond.

I shrug and moisten my lips with my tongue.

"I couldn't sleep anyway......" I murmur, crossing my arms around my torso, then add.

".....I felt..horrible...knowing you were furious with me."

Advancing toward me, he gently disentangles my arms from around myself, replacing them with his own as he envelops me in a tight embrace, pulling me close and nestling my head against the curve of his neck.

Instantly, a lump forms in my throat, tears welling up in my eyes...

I needed this....so badly.

I inhale......and I feel the tension dissipate from my body as I exhale.

"You silly girl ....." His lips brush against the side of my head.

"...and all this time, I thought you were angry with me." he murmurs, eliciting a smile from me pressed against his chest.

"I am...but it's your anger I can't stand." I admit.

His chest vibrates with a chuckle at my blunt honesty. I hold onto him a little tighter, afraid of losing this moment.

His hands rub my back and side, and I look up, resting my chin on his peck.

His fingers, caress my face, outlining my jawline, my cheek, my lips.