Chapter 24 - Sticks and Stones

Rome waits until I walk into the building before driving off, and I asked that I text him once I'm safely inside my apartment

As I get unto the third floor, I notice that Gina's door is slightly open and the sound of my mother's voice is apparent.

I push the door open and notice her and Gina sitting on the sofa with their backs to me.

"Hey guys."

"Hai."

"Hello sweetheart." Mon gives me an air kiss before I reach her, and gives me another one on the cheek when I move around the sofa to face them.

They both look very casual and relaxed with their feet on the table and sofa respectively.

"What are you doing home this time." I ask Gina who is supposed to be at work.

"Had an afternoon meeting that ended early, so I knocked off." she grins, as I kiss her on the cheek too.

"You look nice, where are you coming from, Did you have a job interview or something?" Mom asks

"Yeah, you look hot?" Gina adds.

"Not exactly, had a meeting with Megan this morning, and then Rome and I went to meet Tom later."

"Ohh, did you? how did it go?" Gina asks enthusiastically, obviously referring to the situation with Tom which I told her about.

"Great......" I smile.

"I'm meeting him on Monday." I say and she smiles back gleefully.

"How is Roman doing by the way, is he still in a lot of pain with his ribs in all?"

"What happened to his ribs?" Mom asks.

"Fractured." Gina responds nonchalantly.

"I thought you guys said it wasn't anything serious."she turns to me with concern.

"Well, he seems to be doing well, everyone else seems to be more worried about him than he is about himself...He insists that he is fine." I mumble.

"Well, how did he get his ribs fractured?"

"Um, he fail down the stairs."

"The stairs?...how"

"Hey, look, your mom brought some food." Gina interrupts, catching on to the fact that I don't want to delve too deep into this particular subject with her, lest we start dreading on dangerous waters.

I stand up to check the food, a yummy looking chicken Tamale Pie along with some French bread Pizza.

This is one of the things I miss most about living with my parents, the food.

"Aww, thanks mom." I murmur, biting into a slice of the Bread Pizza and humming in delight.

"You're welcome baby.....well, I'm glad Roman is doing better, pass my regards when you see him again."