10.5 - The Dark Era

"So...what exactly do you want us to check?" You heard a subordinate ask.

Ever since Ango had gone missing, the two of you had been working together more often. Of course, Dazai was stressed with the things going on, so you often came down to help. Today's meeting was in the basement, and had started an hour back, except you weren't able to make it until now.

"Everything! Isn't it obvious?" Dazai cried in exasperation. "We need to find something that might lead us to their hideout. Anything could be a clue: the soles of their shoes, the trash in their pocket, food crumbs from whatever they ate, adhesives stuck to their clothes—everything. Tsk... My lackeys seem to think beating the enemy to death is all the Mafia does. Odasaku's gonna solve everything all by himself at this rate."

"Sakunosuke Oda... I know that guy," the subordinate with sunglasses added hesitantly. "Dazai, sir, I don't mean to be rude, but...I saw him sweeping behind the office the other day. A man of his status isn't qualified to be your friend, let alone contend with an enemy like this."

Dazai stared, flabbergasted, at his underling.

Dazai and his subordinates hadn't noticed you yet, so you decided to take your time and watch the interaction before stepping in.

"Are you joking? Odasaku's not qualified?" Dazai asked, thoroughly surprised.

"Yes..."

The other men nodded as well.

"You fools!"

Dazai's lips curled into a sneer in genuine disgust. "Listen, I'm telling you guys this for your own good. Do not make Odasaku angry—no matter what you do. If you were to anger him—truly, deeply upset him—then all five people in this room would be dead before anyone could even draw their guns."

"If even Dazai considers himself dead meat, you know it's serious," your voice sounded as you stepped out of the shadows.

His underlings immediately turned to salute you, though you waved their gesture away.

"This is your Executive, his personal choices such as how he picks his friend is not something you should concern yourself with," you glared, placing a hand on his shoulder.

The subordinates were at a loss for words. Even Akutagawa stared at Dazai with a tense expression on his face.

"When he's serious, Odasaku's scarier than anyone in the entire Mafia. Akutagawa, you could train for a hundred years, and you still wouldn't be able to beat him," Dazai continued.

"...That is absurd...," Akutagawa muttered, his voice stifled. "...That's impossible. Are you saying that I—?"

But Dazai just ignored him. You sent an apologetic glance his way, before facing the subordinates as well.

"Now, let's get to work! Our enemy might be a pain, but if we don't sort this out soon, the Special Division for Unusual Powers is gonna show up to put the fire out, and we don't want that," you explained. 

"So you have the information I asked you for, then?" Dazai checked.

"Ask and I shall deliver, dear friend," you smirked, placing numerous files on the table. "Dazai, do me a favour and call Oda-kun."

"Dazai, hello," Oda greeted, picking up after a few rings.

"You're on speaker Odasaku, with L/N here," Dazai informed, holding the phone up so you could speak.

"Oda-kun, I am aware that this is sudden, but we have a lead on the case," you explained. "I need you to go somewhere for me right now."

According to your research, the Mimic soldiers' shoes had multiple dead leaves stuck on them from a certain perennial broadleaf that didn't lose its leaves during that period. The entire plant would have to be withering for the leaves to fall, but perennials would not die so easily. Therefore, one conceivable possibility was that an herbicide was used to kill it.