15 - The Last Tycoon

You woke up in a cold sweat, gasping for breath. Your hands were trembling, and your vision was fading in and out of itself. 

02:12 AM.

You'd gotten one hour of sleep.

Fucking lovely.

Groaning, you got up and made your way to the small kitchen, hoping to get a glass of water, only to be stopped on the way.

"Osamu?" You mumbled, surprised.

"Water," Dazai sighed, handing you a glass. "And you talk in your sleep."

You froze instantly, trying to recall the events of your nightmare. 

When nothing came to mind, you could only sigh as you chugged the water your friend handed you.

"Sorry for disturbing you," you shrugged, heading back to your room. 

When you woke up for the second time, you were certainly in a better mood to say the least and swiftly made your way to work, since Ranpo had organised a strategy meeting. Strategy meetings at the Armed Detective Agency generally consisted of leaving Ranpo, Dazai and you locked in a room without any access to internet until you cooked something up. During your mission last night to revive the Daikokuten, Ranpo and Yosano were on another mission to get information from one of the Guild's workers provided they could beat them in the challenge.

"Truly a treasure trove of information," you awed looking down at the notes that Ranpo had printed out for the two of you. 

"Do what you want with it," Ranpo shrugged. "I don't care."

"How would we use this to crush the Guild's spine, then?" Dazai asked. "Break in, plant a bomb?"

"Wha-?" Ranpo gaped. "No way, it'd get sniped by comms and hit the water."

"Then first, the Special Division, then bring in Kenji-kun?" You suggested.

"Nuh-uh, it'd turn into a land battle," Ranpo reminded. "We'd hurt each other and go into overtime."

Hmm.... good point," Dazai nodded, making a paper airplane. "Then I guess it's Atsushi-kun."

"Not bad, with a little Light Snow support," Ranpo agreed.

"I suppose... so how do we infiltrate?" You asked.

"That's where the Special Division comes in," Ranpo replied. 

"Mountain at the end, then?" Dazai asked, pointing on the map.

"No, river," Ranpo decided, showing which river he meant. 

"Looks good," you agreed. "Will you be paying him a visit then?"

"I'll need you to drive me, and for you to stay as a backup," Dazai requested.

"At least buy flowers and pastries if you want to flatter him," you sighed, grabbing your keys.

"Already have them ready," Dazai smirked.

It wasn't long before the two of you reached the hospital where Ango was. Dazai got out of the car, and beckoned for you to join him.

"Why hello there, Ango!" Dazai beamed, opening the door. "How're you doing?"

"Long time no see, Sakaguchi-kun," you greeted. 

Ango's entire head was wrapped in bandages, with his right leg in a thick cast and elevated. Clearly, a few operations had been done on him, as the clipboard containing patient information had signatures of nurses checking up on him at least twice an hour.