Chapter 40.

Alexa's POV

I woke up cold and alone in bed. Cole was no where to be found. I opened my phone to check the time and found it was already 11:00

Damn I slept in.

I got up and decided to take a shower before going downstairs. I grabbed sweat pants and a huge sweater. It's not like I'm going anywhere today.

After I finished showering, I got dressed and headed downstairs. I heard talking coming from the kitchen. I walked in to see Cole and his parents talking. They were all cooking together. The most noticeable thing about this though,is that they all had a huge smile on their faces.

Jeez. You wake up late and you miss a lot.

Cole takes notice of me and his smile goes wider of that was even possible. He washes his hand and quickly makes  his way over me. He hugs me tightly before kissing me.

"Good afternoon, sleeping beauty" he chuckles

"Technically it's 11AM. It's not yet afternoon till exactly 12." I point out

"Yeah. Okay. Sure." He says

Alicia pulls Cole away from me and hugs me tightly.

"Thank you...." she whispers. I hug her back.

"I'm glad I could help." I whisper back

"Mooommmm stop hogging her" Cole whines

"Cole's right, hun." Robert says

He then gently unwraps Alicia's arms from me and hugs me.

"You're stealing the girl." Robert says

"Dadddd" Cole whines

"Alright. Alright. Here you go son." Robert chuckles at Cole's childishness. Cole pulls me into him.

"So...I take it everything is okay?"

"Yup!! You woke up really late. We've been talking since 6AM." Cole says

"6AM?!?! Why would you be awake at that ungodly hour." I scrunch my face in horror

"We just wake up at that hour." Alicia shrugs

"I couldn't sleep." Cole says

I turned around to face him. He gives me a tight smile and hugs me tighter. When Cole says he couldn't sleep, it meant he had a nightmare.

"Okay...so what are you guys making?" I ask

"Lunch. It was supposed to be a surprise for you." Cole says

"For me?" I ask schocked. Why would they prepare this for me? They barely know me.

"Yes. As a thank you for helping us." Robert says

"You didn't have to do that. A simple thank you would've been fine with me." I say

"Nonsense!! You deserve more than a lunch actually" Alicia says

"Well I don't really like to be given anything over the top. I like to keep it simple." I say

"That's what Cole said." Robert says

"You know yet you still give me expensive things." I playfully glare at Cole.

"You deserve the best of the best in the world." He shrugs

"You two set the table. The food is all done." Alicia tells Cole and I. We playfully salute at him,making him chuckle at us.

During lunch, Alicia kept chatting on and on about Cole's most embarrassing moments.I struggled to eat cause I was laughing so hard. I learned that Alicia was the more talkative one and Robert is the silent shy one. Right  now, Alicia and Cole are caught up in their own conversation. I finally calmed down and got to eat my dessert properly.

"Is it good?" Robert asks

"Super. This is the chocolate espresso cake right?"

"Yes!! How did you know?" He looks at me in shock. I smile sheepishly

"I'm a big fan of baking. I work at a café and the chef's let me bake there so we could sell it sometimes. I can never seem to perfect this though. It's really hard to make" I say

"Well I'm sure you can do it with a little practice and some help. And I would be more than happy to help you" He grins widely at me

"Really?! You'll teach me how to bake these amazing pastries?" I ask him in disbelief

"Of course!" He says

We discuss more and more about our favorite pastries. Cole and his mum soon joined in on our conversation. We talked about what would taste good with what. Cole and Alicia were more into cooking while Robert and I were more into baking.

We decided to continue the conversation at the couch. They all stood up and headed to the living room but I stayed behind and cleaned up the table. Although that came to an abrupt stop when Marie came in and took the plates out of my hands.

"Not today Alexa. Go and hang out with the Reynolds. I can handle all this i promise. Thank you for the help but I would much rather appreciate that you talk with the Reynolds." She says and ushers me out the kitchen. I laugh and obey her, walking to the living room.

When I entered the living room, Cole was trying to get Cola to stop growling and glaring at his parents. The couple looked uncomfortable under the gaze of the dog. I laughed and sat next to Cole.

"Cola! Hey boy!" I call out to him. He faces me and slowly walks closer. He places his head on my lap and I pet his head.

"Boy...those are not bad people okay? They're good. They're not gonn a hurt you or me or Cole. Okay?" I talk to Cola as if I were talking to a real person. Cola turns around and walks closer to Robert and Alicia. Cola stares up at them. Cole and I signal for them to stretch forward which they did. Cola sniffs there hands, goes back to us and then lays by Cole and I's feet.

"It's like anyone will listen to you." Cole says amused. I shrug and pet Cola's head.

"When did you get this guy,Cole?" Robert asks

"Not too long ago. Lex and I adopted him." Cole says, smiling widely

"What's his name again?" Alicia asks

"Cola." I answer

"Cola? Like the drink? Coca Cola?" Robert says

"Yeah I guess so" Cole laughs

"Why Cola?" Robert ask

"It's Cole and Alexa combined" Cole laughs

They laugh and nod their head in understanding. Cole brings me closer to him and intertwines our hands. Robert and Alicia share a knowing look before we get back to our old conversations. Robert catches me watching them in curiosity. He smirks and raises his hands a bit. His hands were formed in a heart and was right in front of Cole and I. He then looks through the heart.

I soon understand what he was doing and blush bright red. He laughs loudly. Cole looks at me in confusion. He didn't see what his dad did. I shake my head and tell him everything's fine. He nods hesitantly and kisses my forehead before returning to his conversation with his mum.

I look back at Robert and notice he was mouthing something at me.

'He loves you'

He winks at me and then engages in the conversation of the mother and son.

That's not true...Cole doesn't love me. He likes me, yeah sure, but love? I don't think so. Nobody loves. Nobody can love me. Nobody will ever love me. I'm incable of love...

I don't know. I was always bad at reading lips.

If nobody will love me, now and forever more. I silently hope and pray that when Cole will be my nobody.

God I'm so cheesy.

//////////////